Any hope for music integration?

I was just wondering if there was a chance for a future firmware update to intergrate the SD memory and onboard memory of songs. Also for the songs to play by album order and not alphabet order, and for there to be a more than 2000 song limit.

I have a clip zip and I love it, and I would want to buy a clip sport/jam if these features were added.

I would purchase another Clip Zip or Clip+:  why downgrade?

@nonipoduser22 wrote:

I was just wondering if there was a chance for a future firmware update to intergrate the SD memory and onboard memory of songs. Also for the songs to play by album order and not alphabet order, and for there to be a more than 2000 song limit.

Combining the internal and external memories is a hardware limitation so no, that ain’t gonna happen.

Ironically, when the Sport first came out, it had a 4,000 track limit for the internal and 4,000 limit for the card. When attempting to fix some bugs in the first firmware update though, extra memory space was needed, so the database was cut in half. So no, that’s not going to change either.

As far as playing in album order, if you edit the ID3 tags of the files and put the track number at the beginning of the title, it should play in the desired order (Example: 05 - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds)

Aw, that disappoints me. I liked that this time they made the 8GB versions in colors other than black and grey. I have over 5000 songs and I like to carry them all with me. Looks like I won’t be jumping to get this one, if I ever do, I guess I’ll have to limit my music.

What’s the point of an 8GB database with the option to add up to 32 GB more if you can only listen to 2000 on both storages? Very disappointing.

If it really has to be the Sport (which I appreciate for its sound quality) and you can renounce database involvement, there’s the Sport’s folder mode allowing access to all songs without a file-number limitation.

If you like shuffle play, there’s no other «clean» solution than putting your whole collection in a playlist, preferrably with all songs on the card, as a directory mix doesn’t seem to work reliably (it does with one of my cards, but not with the other…). There may be a song limitation somewhere above 5000, though.

In one of my two Sports I have a 64 GB card with all (>6000) songs straight in the «Music» folder to enable shuffle play through folder mode. This solution does work, but makes the player slow.

Saying it again:  make life easy and get a Clip+ or Clip Zip . . . .

“In one of my two Sports I have a 64 GB card with all (>6000) songs straight in the «Music» folder to enable shuffle play through folder mode. This solution does work, but makes the player slow.”

They are in the music folder without using any subfolders? If so, I’m surprised the player functions that way.

It seems like with the Clip+ and Clip Zip using the original firmware, the player choked if there were more than 255 items(files or folders) directly in a folder.

I wasn’t aware of any problem (now I am!) – maybe that’s why it works. :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like

@jazz wrote:

If it really has to be the Sport (which I appreciate for its sound quality) and you can renounce database involvement, there’s the Sport’s folder mode allowing access to all songs without a file-number limitation.

If you like shuffle play, there’s no other «clean» solution than putting your whole collection in a playlist, preferrably with all songs on the card, as a directory mix doesn’t seem to work reliably (it does with one of my cards, but not with the other…). There may be a song limitation somewhere above 5000, though.

In one of my two Sports I have a 64 GB card with all (>6000) songs straight in the «Music» folder to enable shuffle play through folder mode. This solution does work, but makes the player slow.

Thanks, but that would mean taking out all my music from their album folders. I probably have over 100 albums. That’s too much work. I’m just going to stick with my Clip Zip and Sansa Fuze, which both work great and have music integration and hold all my music. If I get another player, it might be a Sansa Clip+ from ebay or something since they’re discontinued now

@miikerman wrote:
Saying it again: make life easy and get a Clip+ or Clip Zip . . .

Ha! Right. I think the Clip+, Clip Zip and Sansa Fuze were the best players Sandisk made. It’s too bad they didn’t improve on them with the Sport and Jam.

Sandisk finally realized that in the under $50 category the are competing against the ipod Shuffle, so their player only has to be better than the Shuffle. The Clip+ and Clip Zip(with Rockbox installed) are in many ways better than the ipod Nano.

@nonipoduser22 wrote:

Thanks, but that would mean taking out all my music from their album folders. I probably have over 100 albums. That’s too much work.

Not necessarily. You could choose option 1: a playlist with all of your music. This for the «shuffle all» function. For shuffle play within an album folder normal folder mode will do.

@jk98 wrote:

Sandisk finally realized that in the under $50 category the are competing against the ipod Shuffle, so their player only has to be better than the Shuffle. The Clip+ and Clip Zip(with Rockbox installed) are in many ways better than the ipod Nano.

But, make a good player and capture the market from more expensive players as well . . . .   Market share and profits are market share and profits, in the end.

Some cynical people might say that the Clip+ and clip Zip were too good for the price(especially after Rockbox is installed), so it didn’t leave enough demand for a premium player at the $99(or perhaps $60 to $99) price point. They might also say that the Clip sport and Clip Jam were intentionally crippled for this reason. Even so, the clip Sport and Clip Jam are still so much better than the ipod Shuffle. 

I hope Sandisk come out with a $99(or less) player that is perhaps slightly larger than the Clip Sport(perhaps 25% wider and 25% taller?) that is still a clip on player,  has two micro SDXC card slots(or 32GB built in and one micro SDXC card slot), a larger screen than the Clip Sport has, 40+ hours of battery life(although 60+ hours would be much better), large database capacity, and integration of card memory with main memory(or else integration of the contents of two cards in the player).

@jk98 wrote:

I hope Sandisk come out with a $99(or less) player that is perhaps slightly larger than the Clip Sport(perhaps 25% wider and 25% taller?) that is still a clip on player,  has two micro SDXC card slots(or 32GB built in and one micro SDXC card slot), a larger screen than the Clip Sport has, 40+ hours of battery life(although 60+ hours would be much better), large database capacity, and integration of card memory with main memory(or else integration of the contents of two cards in the player).

Just because you repeat this every day, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.

:wink:

I support JK98 – at the same time I have almost zero hope that anything like this will happen. Lucky me to have a more than good substitute: the FiiO X3 II. Still portable enough for jogging (on an armband).

The player you mentioned is expensive, and gets under 11 hours of battery life. If I want to buy a player between $150 and $200 though, it would be the one that has 32GB built in, a card slot, and 90 hours of battery life. I won’t name it here though, since that would be inappropriate. Of course I would love it if Sandisk makes a player with a card slot(having two would be much better though) and 90 hours of battery life that is priced lower.

Relatively expensive, true. But I’m never in the situation to even make use of the 11 hours runtime. As explained by manufacturers, high sound quality is bound to high current consumption. In view of this I find the sound quality of the Clips remarkable.

The player you mentioned has high power output. when using efficient headphones or earphones though, having such high power output isn’t necessary. I prefer to have longer battery life instead.

A valid argument. I wouldn’t necessarily need it either. But there’s no other player in its price category with similar or higher sound quality that I know of.