Adding a Sandisk 32GB Micro SDHC chip to expand music storage

@olderguy wrote:

I was running out of the 8GB of memory in my Sandisk Clip Sport and added the SDHC chip thinking it would expand the available space. Now I am reading that the SDHC chip has to be pre-recorded with music. 

You have to transfer music files to the card just as you do to the internal memory.

Before I find a way to do that I have a few questions I hope someone can answer.  Will the artists, albums and songs be available seamlessly between the internal memory and the SDHC chip? 

No, not on this model.

Will album art work for tunes stored on the SDHC chip and if so where should they be stored?

Yes. You can either embed the album art .jpg image into the ID3 tag of each song, or just place 1 image in the folder (album) that the songs reside in.

Can playlists be made to play tunes arbitrarily stored in both main memory (8GB) and the chip (32GB)?

You can create a playlist  for tunes either in the main memory or the card, but not tunes/files from both locations in the same playlist. You used to be able to do this on the older models, but with the new (less powerful) processor in these newer models it is not possible.

Would it be better to put all the music on the SDHC chip and none in main memory?

Depends. Seems silly to not use the internal memory. You just have to realize & work with the fact that these newer players see the 2 memory sources as separate entities.

I apologize if this topic has been covered before by the forum.  I was unable to find it discussed. Thanks for any insight!

Olderguy

1 Like