Not as easy to use as previous models

I’ve been a loyal sansa clip user for 10 plus years. I previously had the 4GB and 8GB models. When I saw there was a 16GB model with Bluetooth, I jumped at it. My problem is that it is not as easy to sync up playlists. On the earlier models, you could just drag a Windows playlist over to the Sync window and boom! It would sync up, no problem. Now you have to create a folder, drag it over to WMP, save it as something called a M3u playlist, set the shortcut in the folder and drag the folder to the device while it’s hooked to your computer. Why did they have to take away the ease of use? Very disappointing.

This is probably due to the fact that the previous models had 2 connection modes, MTP & MSC. MTP mode is what was used with WMP & saved the playlist file with the .wpl extension. This file would be stored in the Playlist folder on the device.

M3u format is the extension used with MSC connection mode. This format playlist must be stored in the Music folder (or folder wher the audio files are stored). The newer players are MSC-only mode devices.

1 Like

To add a bit more detail about playllists:

I believe that M3U playllists are specific (proprietary?) to Apple.

And, I’m guessing that the earlier, no longer supported playlist mentioned above, is

NOT based on any Industry-standard.

[ I tried building some html-5 video-tagged webcode to play with playlists, and found that

M3U wasn’t supported by some of the more common browsers, so I stopped development of that webpage. ]

@sarasotaslim wrote:

To add a bit more detail about playllists:

I believe that M3U playllists are specific (proprietary?) to Apple.

No M3U was not developed by or specific to Apple. They are simple text files that are used to call a lit of songs or streams to be played. you can read more about M#U at the link below. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U 

Ah, as mentioned in that wikipedia article, it is M3U8 that is Apple-specific, not the earlier M3U.

Sorry about any confusion.

I named a folder the name of the playlist. Have all the songs in the playlist and the m3u file in the folder. put the folder in the music folder on the Sport Plus and I still have a blank playlist on the folder. I feel like I’m in the turn of the century with my old Rio Plus, not 2017 with a state of the art new mp3 player. It’s ridiculous something like this is so convoluted. The whole Sport Plus feels like ■■■■ compared to my old Clips and looks like a child’s toy next to my siste’rs 7th Gen Nano and my Shanling M1 which I forgot at home while on vaca and is the only reason I bought the Sport Plus, so I could run and bike while on vaca.

It’s overly big. The plastic build is something Hasbro would make for a 5yr old. The UI is more wonky than before. Things back up more than one step so I’m constantly starting from the main menu. They removed the card slot and added BT. Why is this device so big and thick? If I folded the 7th gen Nano in half, it would still be smaller than the Sport Plus.

I just find it amazing over so many generations of this product, they have not really listened to the concensus of what people wanted out of this player. Bluetooth has been wanted for year, and only now do they offer it on a gimped tinker toy version of it. It’s just sad, and mine will be going back to Best Buy as soon as I get home. Happy to pay double for the Shanling M1 and make my own clip for it.

The really sad thing is a company like Agptek can make a Clip clone with Bluetooth. Their only problem is Bluetooth is a bit wonky with playlists, which should get solved. $38 with a card slot and a more svelte design:

https://www.amazon.com/AGPtEK-MG05W-Bluetooth-Portable-Supports/dp/B01MG31IBZ

Wish I could understand Sandisk’s rationale on their generational upgrades.