New Player

Here is the link to the SanDisk webpage.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mp3-players/clip-sport-plus

16 gb on-board memory (4000 songs) WITH genre sorting AND bluetooth connectivity.

One thing not described is the micro SD card.

Maybe the slot was eliminated to make the player water resistant?

And, eliminates confusions related to database limitations with >16 gb memory cards?

Any info on Audible compliance? 

If so does it address any of the existing issues with utilizing Audible’s single file, enhanced mode? 

@dfeld2005 wrote:

Correct, the Clip Sport Plus does not have an external card slot due to the IPX5 water resistant rating. 

@mgkurilla wrote:

Any info on Audible compliance? 

If so does it address any of the existing issues with utilizing Audible’s single file, enhanced mode? 

Audible is not currently supported however there will be a future FW update that will provide Audible support. The Audible implementation will be the same as the current Clip Sport implementation. 

@dfeld2005 wrote:

16 gb on-board memory (4000 songs) WITH genre sorting AND bluetooth connectivity. 

Can you let me know where exactly you see this? The Clip Sport Plus does NOT support genre sorting. 

I found the user manual for the new Clip Sport Plus at this web-link.

http://downloads.sandisk.com/downloads/um/clipsportplus-um.pdf

I noticed this comment on page 18:

Genres shuffles all songs from all genres, or enables scrolling to select a desired genre. Artists will appear in selected genre.

This option was always missing from the 1st gen Clip Sport.

I am still “on the fence” after buying a few BlueTooth in-ear headphones. When they connect right away, they are kinda fun for 3-4 hours of charge. When they do not connect immediately, I really need a lot of patience and Off / On cycles to get it working.

But this puts the Clip Sport Plus in sync with the new iPhone 7 series that require BlueTooth (unless you buy their adaptor).

@dfeld2005 wrote:

Genres shuffles all songs from all genres, or enables scrolling to select a desired genre. Artists will appear in selected genre.

Thank you for the report. This is a mistake in the UM. I have reported it to the product team. We should have an updated UM which removes this statement soon. 

@slotmonsta wrote:

@dfeld2005 wrote:

Thank you for the report. This is a mistake in the UM. I have reported it to the product team. We should have an updated UM which removes this statement soon. 

There is also a boo-boo in the Firmware 1.10 Download instructions here on the forum.

It says:

" • Remove any external card from the Clip Sport Plus before performing firmware update"

Obviously a copy & paste from other firmware installation intructions oversight. :wink:

May be OT for this thread, but this:

“3. FM radio functionality requires wired earphones” is baffling to my meager grey matter. I understand that even a buetooth-capable device should have a headphone jack for those who don’t want (or can’t afford) wireless phones/buds, but I don’t get why FM radio would require wired phones but playing mp3’s can support bluetooth connectivity.

I’m sure there’s a logical or technological reason, but on the surface it seems a bit strange. :confounded:

The headphone cable is the FM antenna. 

Since this player doesn’t have a card slot, and is built on the Clip Sport platform, it would have made sense to equipt it with 32GB built in, configured as two sets of 16GB, so it would work like a 16GB Clip Sport that has a 16GB card in it. Was there ever a 16GB Clip Sport with a card slot? I found this page, but don’t see them being available anywhere. Will they become available?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029870-REG/sandisk_sdmx24_016g_a46k_16gb_clip_sport_mp3.html

How about a Clip Sport with 16GB built in, a card slot, and a 440mah battery, so it would have 50 hours of battery life?

I noticed in a footnote that the 20 hrs of battery life is for use with a wired headphone, and that using blutooth it only gets 7 hours of battery life. Why wasn’t a 440mah battery used for this, so it could give 14 hours of battery life using bluetooth?

@tapeworm wrote:

" • Remove any external card from the Clip Sport Plus before performing firmware update"

Obviously a copy & paste from other firmware installation intructions oversight. :wink:

“3. FM radio functionality requires wired earphones” is baffling to my meager grey matter. I understand that even a buetooth-capable device should have a headphone jack for those who don’t want (or can’t afford) wireless phones/buds, but I don’t get why FM radio would require wired phones but playing mp3’s can support bluetooth connectivity.

I’m sure there’s a logical or technological reason, but on the surface it seems a bit strange. :confounded:

Removed the reference to external card for the FW update section. Thanks for the catch. 

FM radio requires the use of wired headphones because the headphones themselves act as the antenna. Without the wired headphones attached it will not likely pickup any stations. 

@jk98 wrote:

I noticed in a footnote that the 20 hrs of battery life is for use with a wired headphone, and that using blutooth it only gets 7 hours of battery life. Why wasn’t a 440mah battery used for this, so it could give 14 hours of battery life using bluetooth?

Imo you should make this fact that battery life is only 7 hours using bluetooth more prominant in the product description, otherwise many players are likely to be returned by those who expected to get 20 hours of battery life using bluetooth. The player is also listed as being water resistant. Is that just while using blutooth and the headphone jack cover is in place, or does the player become less water resistant when a wired headphone is used? 

Water resistance remains with the included wired headphones. The headphones are also have an IPX5 water resistance rating and will seal with the headphone jack so the player remains IPX5 water resistant. 

If you use third party headphones the player will not be water resistant. 

@dfeld2005 wrote:

Here is the link to the SanDisk webpage.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mp3-players/clip-sport-plus

And, eliminates confusions related to database limitations with >16 gb memory cards?

Does the Clip Sport Plus database hold 4,000 songs, or is it limited to around 2,000 songs like the other Clip Sport players? Those who use 256kbps or 320 kbps files probably won’t be able to fit more than 2,000

songs on the the player, although some people still use 128 kbps MP3 files, and some even like to cram a player full of 64kbps songs. 

Looks like the sport plus database can actually handle 6k songs. They are probably stating 4k due to capacity of 16GB. 

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20092/ 

@slotmonsta wrote:

Water resistance remains with the included wired headphones. The headphones are also have an IPX5 water resistance rating and will seal with the headphone jack so the player remains IPX5 water resistant. 

If you use third party headphones the player will not be water resistant. 

Nice that the included headphones have this feature as well!    :slight_smile:

@slotmonsta wrote:

FM radio requires the use of wired headphones because the headphones themselves act as the antenna. Without the wired headphones attached it will not likely pickup any stations. 

I just note that this characteristic–needing to use wired headphones for FM play–generally is standard with players as a whole, not just the Sport Plus, presumably for the antenna explanation (another player I have has this limitation as well). 

Having said that, as Bluetooth becomes more in-use, I wish that matters were otherwise, either through the employment of an internal antenna or through the allowance for the use of an external antenna (even wired earbuds) connected to the headphone jack without cancelling the functionality of Bluetooth phones.  

@jk98 wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

Imo you should make this fact that battery life is only 7 hours using bluetooth more prominant in the product description, otherwise many players are likely to be returned by those who expected to get 20 hours of battery life using bluetooth. 

My guess is, the Marketing Dept. felt otherwise . . . .     :wink: