So disapointed in the JAM

I have purchased four SanDisk Sansa MP3 players over the last four years. I had one where the volume set stopped working after 2 years, but the rest lasted a long time. The clip being the only thing that didn’t last, which was solved by super-glueing a small binder clip to the back of the Sansa.

The Sansa has been discontinued and so I purchased a JAM. It worked as I listedn to one 23 hour book, and half way through an 8 hour book the pause button stopped working. Even if I didn’t have it on “pause” when I turned it off, when it turned it on it woudl be on “pause” and something that used to take 2 seconds literally took me 3-5 minutes of playing around with it before it would lift and I could listen to the book. Sometimes it would send me back to “books” and I would try to “resume” playing the book I was on, but had to go through the same process as if it were on pause.

Luckily Amazon is exchanging it for another JAM, but if it goes out on me, I will have to find another vendor. I don’t know why SanDisk discontinued the Sansa and replaced it with an inferior product. I would rather spend a bit more and have a sturdier, better quality player.

Karen L.

@karenlarae wrote:

I don’t know why SanDisk discontinued the Sansa and replaced it with an inferior product. I would rather spend a bit more and have a sturdier, better quality player.

Karen L.

I feel your pain, and agree with you wholeheartedly. 

Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the microprocessor used in the original Clips discontinued that chip.    :(      And apparently, SanDisk could not simply plop in a replacement chip, and alternatively did not develop a more full-featured, alternative/successor Clip player that many of us would have liked . . . .  As I have seen reports, the “replacement” chip that SanDisk (as well as at least one other company) is using just isn’t up to the task for a full-featured, original-like Clip player experience, and only can offer more limited functioning.    :(    As a 10-year Clip aficionado, it all is very sad and disheartening . . . .

The chip that the Sandisk Clip Sport and Jam uses, as well as a different manufacturer, has much better power efficiency than the processor in the Clip+ and Clip Zip. While we do want better power efficiency and longer run times, we don’t want to sacrifice much functionality to get it. 

Old Sansa Clip was better, prettier, play harder. The current model is cheap in China. Front panel rattles, knobs react spontaneously. Disappointment. The sound of loud all the time asking again goes nerves. The old model was the lock button on the side. 

I have this model, so nice design.

Sansa

@kassirajakas wrote:

Old Sansa Clip was better, prettier, play harder. The current model is cheap in China. Front panel rattles, knobs react spontaneously. Disappointment. The sound of loud all the time asking again goes nerves. The old model was the lock button on the side. 

I have this model, so nice design.

The original of the Clips, and my favorite design–unique, understated, and with just the right amount of bling–congratulatíons to the original design team!

AND . . . it too was made in China. It’s not just the current models. :wink:

I threw it into a river of Removed And I bought a Sony mp3 player. Sandisk is trash. Do not waste your money on such nonsense upon.

1 Like

I had the Sansa Clip 2GB. It had problems where it would power off for no reason and the pause button sometimes wouldn’t work forcing me to power it off to stop playback. I sent it back and got a new one that did the same thing. I eventually decided to just live with it. Then I lost that device. So, I got a new Sansa Clip Plus 4GB. It has some different functionality, but pretty much the same. And, the same bugs! Yes, it has those same problems. Third one!

I finally got fed up with dealing with the frequent malfunctions, like also it stopped working and I had to format it from the device and sync everything back up to get it to work again. So, I got a new Clip Jam. I set it up to sync in the same way with Windows Media Player and it won’t play back music files at all. It says unsupported format when I try (even though it did sync and copy the files to the device). Only podcast files work, which is mainly what I would use the device for. Buuut, there is no podcast option in the menu. WTF?!!! How is there no podcasts option? There are albums, artist, etc, but no podcast. If I can’t figure out how to get that back, this thing will have to be returned and then I’m really done with SanDisk forever. I only got the Jam because there doesn’t seem to be a product from any other manufacturer that is small and light, has a decently sized screen to see menus and has a clip on it. So, after not finding an alternative, I figured I’d try one more time. I would really love this Sansa Clip Plus if it just didn’t malfunction. And I’ve had it for years; so, it’s out of warranty. I should have sent it back 10 times or 100 times if that’s what it takes to get one that worked right. Soooooooo disappointed and frustrated with this product line!

@rr1 wrote:

Buuut, there is no podcast option in the menu. WTF?!!! How is there no podcasts option? There are albums, artist, etc, but no podcast.

Podcasts are listed in the Books category in the main menu.

Clip Jam Manual

Pg. 21