Re: Audiobook File Order

I tried using chapter #s with leading zeroes (01, 02, 03, etc...) but still no joy.

SanDisk Professor

Maybe provide a few examples of the folder names, file names and ID3 tag data you are using?

Make sure you are using ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Actually, now that you mention file names, my chapter titles are the same for the first 18 characters. The track titles start with numbering, but not the filenames.

I'll try adding a numbering order to the front of the filenames and see if that helps.

SanDisk Professor

Your suggestion for revising your filenames (01, 02 etc) will hopefully work when you are using FOLDER MODE.

Also, maybe take a quick look at this web-page.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/sort-files-alphabetically-usb-stick-or-mp3-player.htm

If you similarly revise your Track Titles in your ID3 tags, then ordered playback will hopefully work when you are using BOOK MODE.

Folder mode won't work for books, though, right? It won't preserve my place I don't think.

However, that directory sorter looks like a winner. Thinking back, I definitely recall the command DirSort (or was it SortDir?) from my DOS days in the late 80s/early 90s. Since that was the same FAT system, this could very well be the solution I've been looking for.

I'll give it a shot the next time I copy audiobooks to my player (later this week, mostly podcasts) and post back here with the results.

Thanks much, this could actually work.

SanDisk Professor

Just completed some quick testing of your questions.

FOLDER MODE

The FAT sorter program will enable sequential display of files using ClipSport (and Jam).

ClipSport (and Jam) will not create a "Resume File" for mp3 files in the AUDIOBOOKS folders.

AUDIOBOOKS MODE

The FAT sorter program will have no effect on the display of files using ClipSport (and Jam).

The sequential display of files depends on the first 12 characters in the Titles and Albums fields in the ID3 tags.

ClipSport (and Jam) will create one "Resume File" for each mp3 file in the AUDIOBOOKS folders.

Thanks much for testing that.

Renaming the filenames themselves to start with a 2-digit number doesn't help.

Copying the files one at a time in proper order (to ensure FAT order is correct) doesn't help.

The ID3v2.3 titles start with a 5-digit date (eg: 03-16) in proper order, but that doesn't help.

Track numbers have 2-digits (eg: 01, 02, 03...) but that doesn't help.

No matter what I do, Clip Jam consistently plays (and shows) my tracks in random order.

Should I remove the track numbers?

SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

Your comments about problems with audiobook playback order seem to relate to ID3 tagging problems using BOOK MODE.

Filename ordering problems (and FAT table sequencing) applies only to FOLDER MODE.

Maybe it is hard to provide best advice without seeing examples of your ID3 tags??  

Maybe you could post here one example of your data entries for all the ID3 fields in one of your audiobook files?

I have never tried using 5-digit dates in the audio title field of my ID3 tags.  I typically use 2-digit prefixes (followed by a space or a hyphen) then text labels of 8 or more letters in the audio title field. The first 8 letters of the text labels should readily indicate the specific title of the audio file (not the artist name, etc).   Seems like you have proven that 2-digit track numbers do not solve your situation.  Maybe you can try using helpful data in the Album Title field in your ID3 tags.

And maybe you have discovered that BOOK MODE ignores your physical layout of subfolders in your AudioBook folder. Your subfolder layout can be used to help you properly manage your files on your player.

I can tell you that it really is possible to get this all to work in BOOK MODE with the correct combination of data entries in the ID3 tags.  Once you have a working set of files you will hopefully start to enjoy using this handy little audio player.

[ Edited ]

The complete ID3v2.3 tag info for the three audiobooks currently on my player right now:

Title: 03-14 Monday

Track: 01

Artist: Podcast name

Allbum: Podcast name show

Year: 2012

Genre: Comedy

Title: 03-15 Tuesday

Track: 02

Title: 03-16 Wednesday

Track: 03

All other ID3v2.3 tag fields are blank. The year is set at 2012 because I don't bother to update it. The "Podcast name" and "Podcast name show" are the same for all files. (It's the same show, different days.)

EDIT: And as mentioned, these three audiobooks are displayed and played in random order.

SanDisk Professor

The pattern below is a kind of "trial starter" series to test. If it works then you can expand on it and be the new Podcast Guru here.  Play using BOOKS MODE (Not Folder Mode).  Please write back here soon with your results.

Hopefully more Sansa regulars will make better suggestions.

Title: 14-Monday

Track: 

Album: 03-Podcast name show

Title: 15-Tuesday

Track: 

Album: 03-Podcast name show