SanDisk Professor

Re: Audiobook File Order

Yay !!!

You are the new Clip Jam Guru on the SanDisk User Forum.

So I’ve just stumbled on this thread. I have just received a clip jam and I’ve been putting some short books on there (re tagging them etc) without many problems. I’ve updated the firmware to 1.15. But I still can’t get the The first of many Harry Potter Books to go on the clip jam to work. I want the 400+ tracks to be in one folder so I rename the album to the same name.

I’ve read the clip jam can’t handle three digit track orders - is this still the case with the updated firmware? And what do I need to do to get these tracks ordered correctly?? Any tagging suggestions are welcome.
SanDisk Professor

The Clip Jam and Clip Sport can nicely order your audio files with 2-digit track numbers for the first 99 files (01-99).

After that, I think 3-digit track numbers will play in the correct order.  Also, be careful with track names. They should only differ by the track number as a prefix.

I'm still having trouble getting it to work

I have tried all sorts of options the last two being.

Option1:

1. Autonumbering the tracks (001-434)

2. Album:HarryPotter1

3. Changing all the titles to %Track% - %Album

Option 2:

1. All files with the Album name: HarryPotter1

2. Numbering the first 99 tracks (01-99)

3. Changing those titles to 01Chapt-%Track%

4. Numbering the next 99 tracks (01-99)

5. Changing those titles to 02Chapt-%Track%

Any advice?

When transferred onto the clip jam they are out of order and it seems not all of them are there... so am I pushing the limitations? I find it hard to believe I'm going to have to have five folders on the top level for each Harry Potter Book for my Son to listen to whilst travelling...

SanDisk Professor

Here is another variation that seems to work for me, with limited testing.

Option 3:
1. All files with the Album name: HarryPotter1
2. Numbering the tracks with 3 digits, up to 999 tracks (starting with 101, up to 999).  No 2-digit numbering.
3. Changing those titles to %Track%-HarryPotter1

[ Edited ]

Option 3 works if I view the tracks by

Folders>Internal Memory>Audiobooks>HarryPotter1

But if I want to view them by

Books>Audiobooks>HarryPotter1 the numbering starts at 128-HarryPotter1 and Ends at 127-HarryPotter1 and the highest number it goes to is 298-HarryPotter1

So it the numbering was 101-534 and I have tracks 101-298 only and the first track that shows up is 128 and it goes to 298 before looping to 101 and ends on 127. So there must be limitations on how many tracks the Books>Audiobooks directory can show... whereas the Folders directory doesn't have that limiation.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry my 3-digit tracking plan did not work on the Clip Jam.

I decided to simulate your situation with ~260 short mp3 files on my Clip Jam.  I verified exactly what you described.

My current & best advice is to subdivide the HarryPotter1 collection into multiple sub-collections

Album name HP 1A contains the first 99 tracks, numbered 01-99 (Filenames and Track Titles = %Track%-HP 1A)

Album name HP 1B contains the next 99 tracks numbered 01-99 (Filenames and Track Titles = %Track%-HP 1B)

Album name HP-1C contains the next 99 tracks numbered 01-99 (Filenames and Track Titles = %Track%-HP 1C)

etc, etc

I can confirm two results.   THIS PLAN WORKS   and   IT REQUIRES EXTRA EFFORT

I like to use the mp3 tagging software "mp3tag" with all the handy tagging commands built into the toolbar.