Accepted Solution

Extreme firewire reader initially not recognised.

My Sandisk Firewire Extreme reader is plugged onto the 6 pin motherboard port.  Computer has an AMD 64x2 dual core processor & runs Windows XP with service packs updated etc.
On putting an Extreme IV CF card (8 gig) into the reader, a blue light comes on on the reader, but nothing else happens.  The card reader does not show up on My Computer as an extra drive.  However, if the CF card is removed and reinserted the software recognises it's there & everything downloads fine.  I could find no drivers to load with the card - but it seems to work fine but only on reinserting the card.  Can anyone suggest how to get this thing to work first time around?
The reader also runs warm on downloading from the card - is this normal?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Extreme firewire reader initially not recognised.

We have (almost) the same problem so I hope who ever responds with a solution can help me as well. I get a blue light but that's it. My computer recognizes new hardware and wants me to load the driver for the hardware. It asks that everytime I insert the card. So far I have not been able to download anything.

@shamguess wrote:
We have (almost) the same problem so I hope who ever responds with a solution can help me as well. I get a blue light but that's it. My computer recognizes new hardware and wants me to load the driver for the hardware. It asks that everytime I insert the card. So far I have not been able to download anything.

What OS are you running on your PC?
Highlighted

@astroman042000 wrote:
My Sandisk Firewire Extreme reader is plugged onto the 6 pin motherboard port.  Computer has an AMD 64x2 dual core processor & runs Windows XP with service packs updated etc.
On putting an Extreme IV CF card (8 gig) into the reader, a blue light comes on on the reader, but nothing else happens.  The card reader does not show up on My Computer as an extra drive.  However, if the CF card is removed and reinserted the software recognises it's there & everything downloads fine.  I could find no drivers to load with the card - but it seems to work fine but only on reinserting the card.  Can anyone suggest how to get this thing to work first time around?
The reader also runs warm on downloading from the card - is this normal?
Thanks in advance for your help.

This is weird!  Have you tried uninstalling the driver (when the card and reader are attached and working properly, of course) then disconnecting/reconnecting the reader?