Any help appreciated, I cannot decide between these two cards...

Well, considering the few (none) success of my post on the other forum, I thought I may have more answers here. One answer would already be more than zero, so…

I bought a generic chinese MP4 player which I use as an MP3 player actually. No infos about it on the web, supposedly it is by Senai, and the model is Stron. Anyway, it has got a Micro SD slot for up to 8GB (according to the tests made by the seller).

I will travel A LOT. And I would like to avoit problems with the card. Unfortunately I had no money for a good Sansa player or other player which could have offered me international warranty, so, I just hope the player I have will do its job.

But about the card, I will chose between Kingston and Sandisk, and I cannot decide.

I am a bit confused about Classes and Speed rates. I understand that classes is about minimum continued transfer rate, while speed rate is the maximum transfer rate. But I have no idea about if any of both of these numbers should have any relevance for a MP3 player. I guess they have not.

So, I can choose between a Sandisk card, class 2, or a Kingston one, class 4. I ignore the difference in speed rate.

Beside that, Sandisk has got 5 years warranty, Kingston has got lifetime warranty. “lifetime warranty” makes its effect because it makes Kingston seem very sure that I will never ever have a problem with their product, which is what I look for. Is it like that? Do you have any idea of the difference between the two brands? Which card should I choose?

Consider that, important factor, the Sandisk one costs me 3/4 of the Kingston one… Thanks!

I’d go for the SanDisk card. They are after all, the world leader in flash-based memory cards. Class & speed are essentially the same thing and the higher speed/class cards won’t play any better than the lower class ones. You might see a small decrease in the time to load up the card with music if you’re loading it completely all at 1 time with the faster (Class 4 vs. Class 2) card, but if you’re doing that, likely you’ll load it up only once (or seldomly). Putting on or taking off a few files at a time, you’re not likely to see any time difference at all. Playback will not be affected one way or the other.

Not that this matters in your case, but there have been known compatibility issues with Sansa players and Kingston cards when storing and playing videos from the card. You may or may not have any problems with your ‘generic’ player, but why take the chance?

I’d go for the SanDisk card. They are after all, the world leader in flash-based memory cards. Class & speed are essentially the same thing and the higher speed/class cards won’t play any better than the lower class ones. You might see a small decrease in the time to load up the card with music if you’re loading it completely all at 1 time with the faster (Class 4 vs. Class 2) card, but if you’re doing that, likely you’ll load it up only once (or seldomly). Putting on or taking off a few files at a time, you’re not likely to see any time difference at all. Playback will not be affected one way or the other.

Not that this matters in your case, but there have been known compatibility issues with Sansa players and Kingston cards when storing and playing videos from the card. You may or may not have any problems with your ‘generic’ player, but why take the chance?

Besides . . . this is a SanDisk forum. Would you expect a glowing recommendation for competitor’s product here? :wink:

Well, it depends on from whom…

From customers, yes, I would expect them to tell their experience, in these days people try lot of brands and usually they know the difference in quality, customer care, reliability, performance, durability, etc…

Of course, I would not expect a not partidary comment from SanDisk agents on forums…

:slight_smile:

Anyway, finally I went to buy the SanDisk, but when I got there, I saw that even if there was a SN on the fron of the card, it was really not on focus (I mean, it was not clearly readable). Well, it was **bleep** little, but I have good eyes.

And in the adaptor the sticker was not aligned. I suppose it may happens. But I said to the seller “well, I asked to SanDisk suport how to recognize a fak card, they asked me a picture, so, if then they will tell me that it is fake, will you refund me?” “yes, if you have not used the card”, “sorry? Used? how will you determine that? You are selling it to me in a generic open blister, and besides, you just allowed me to put it in my MP4 to test it. Also, what do you mean, you are selling me a SanDisk, not a generic card, so, if it is fake, you MUST refund me. And what about if SanDisk tells me to use it, to format it to see if it was flashed and after formatting it shows other capacity?”. “you must NOT use it, stop”.

And then they started to say “well, just don´t buy it.”.

So, I left, and I went on a shop where I bought a SanDisk.

Sincerely, I would have bought SanDisk only if cheaper. At same price I will always buy Kingston, warranty is so much better.

Especially in cases like this where the two cards are equally performative. So, all the same, but Kingstone better warranty.

Why to choose SanDisk? Simple, price…

But not at those conditions, it was too suspicious, and actually in any other shop price was higher (same as the kingstone one).

Anyway, do you think that the class may determin the access times, as in a HDD? I mean, once in the MP4, a class 4 card may load and access files quicker than a class2? Because for example I notice that the MP4 takes more time to load infos from the card than from his inbuild memory…

Tape, I need your help: I will return my generic player, piece of s…

I can buy a Sansa player like this: Sansa Connect

Price is quite the double, but I is surely more reliable,

Problem is, I alredy bought a Kingston 8gb microsd!!!

What were you saying about compatibility issues? Just for video? I do not plan to use videos…