Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Cruzer freezes midway through copying files.

I have a brand new Cruzer micro 4GB. I keep about 1800 files on it that consume less than 2GB total. The drive worked fine (had it for 2 weeks) up until today. Now, when I try to copy all 1800 files at once onto a hard drive (for backup) the copy process freezes on a random file every time. I recieve a Windows error message (I am running Windows XP) that says:

Error copying File or Folder:
Cannot copy <file name>: The parameter is incorrect

Where <file name> is some random file in the drive. After this, the explorer window for the USB drive closes. But the Cruzer drive letter is still visible in My Computer. When I re-open the Cruzer window it shows no files. I have to pull it out and reinsert. When I re-insert, all of my files are there. I can look at any of them, edit them etc. No corruptions. None of the files are copy protected in any way (all are pdfs, Excel, Powerpoint, Word files). Also, once the copy process freezes I am unable to eject the drive from the launchpad. When I try, the launchpad gives me the following message:

U3 launchpad:
An has occurred while attempting to eject the U3 smartdrive. Please check for any open documents or programs running on the device and try again later.

I can eject the drive from the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon on the windows taskbar. I get the proper sound and the proper message (You may now safely remove this drive) but the Cruzer LED does not turn off.

I find that I can copy the files in small groups and as long as the entire copy process takes less than 30 seconds (more or less), it copies the files fine. However, if it takes much longer than that it freezes every time.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? Could it be a loose connection in the unit? Could the unit be overheating? It does not feel especially hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis
Raleigh, NC, USA

Re: Cruzer freezes midway through copying files.

does the same issue occur on other computers?

Has anyone got an answer to the OP's question? Because I recently bought a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2 GB and have the same problems with it.

I got rid of the U3 stuff (with the U3 Uninstaller) since that software screwed itself somehow, and now with a clean drive I get the "parameter is incorrect" error, usually when dragging and dropping files from the drive to my hard disk.

It's driving me nuts. If I don't get this fixed asap, it's getting a DoD wipe and going back for a refund or exchange for a better more reliable USB stick drive.

"does the same issue occur on other computers?" Yes it does.  I had been running two 4gig SanDisk Cruzer Professionals each with a large security zone in order to carry all of our sensitive data and use it on a “where ever we land” computer should something happen here.  Everything had been running fine until I updated winxp to sp3.  Now I get the same message when I try to synch the sticks with my core data.  I had had no problems before updating (I think, I am not absolutely certain as to timing).  I have reformatted (using the Cruzer Professional software) the secure zone a couple of times and tried to start over but the same thing happens when I try to copy into the secure zone whether through synching software or through explorer “copy to folder” or by “drag and drop”  I have used the “safely remove hardware” function.  I have not yet reformatted the Cruzers with winxp disk management.  However, it seems strange that when the Cruzers are comprised of a secure zone that they are formatted in FAT but when the secure zone is deleted, by formatting the secure zone to zero, the Cruzers appear to be formatted using the FAT32 file system.  I wonder if I screwed up the hub.  Several hundred dollars for something that does not work reliably is too much especially when we planned on using them for emergency type situations.  If it won’t work now, it sure as heck won’t work when we need it. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!!  I feel as avoidz does, but I want to give SanDisk as much room to help as possible.

Hey! The same problem here! The same Cruzer... it worked just fine until I updated windows from SP2 to SP3... since than it stopped working and when it finally opens the content when I try to copy from it the parrameter is incorrect error appears. Now I'm at work on a PC with SP2 and the Cruzer works like a charm... I tried it also on a laptop with sp2 - it works, and on another pc with sp3-it doesn't work!

Formating it doesn't help...on sp3...

I send an email to sandisk today... I wonder if they send a reply.

Message Edited by Grichus on 06-18-2008 02:12 AM
Message Edited by Grichus on 06-18-2008 02:13 AM
Message Edited by Grichus on 06-18-2008 02:14 AM

Hey Grichus,

I sent four or five emails to tech support before they answered so keep on truckin.  Maybe they will come up with a fix!  Someone is looking into it for me but they have not come up with a solution yet.  I do have sp3 installed but I think I was having problems before I installed sp3.  Maybe I will uninstall sp3 and try it out but for me that is no long term solution. Someone out there in the whole wide world must have found the cause and come up with a fix.

msilverfox333

I have exactly the same problem. I also have WinXP SP3.

And it appers there is no solution yet, correct?

ITS UNBELIEVABLE SANDISK DOES NOT GIVE ANY SUPPORT TO THE USERS!

The only support they give you is the dumb sentence  - have you tried it on a different PC?

I bought my pendrive to have it working on any PC configuration, as all the previous pendrives I have owned

(none of them was SanDisk and maybe that is why they all worked ok)

What do we pay the extra price of SanDisk pendrives for? 

malfunctioning products, dumb support, good marketing to fool us - that is my experience 

Same thing happened to me though. Just edited something in the Windows directory file. Something that's called INFO.CACHE in the system directory. I'm not sure about the name and all but I deleted it and my Cruzer worked fine. CAREFUL! DO NOT MODIFY THINGS IN DIRECTORY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. YOU MAY SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!!! Better yet, ask a professional to do it for you. Maybe a friend or family member knows.
Message Edited by xdean23 on 12-16-2008 04:18 PM

I've got a 16GB cruzer flash drive which I was using for coursework and I'm trying to back it up now and it's turning out to be very difficult.  When ever I try to copy large amounts of data, it just freezes. 

Maybe it overheats when you transfer too much data.  ScanDisk wouldn't be the first company to ship a defective product because they don't want to spend a few cents per item fixing it.

Hi frustrated people,I found quite by accident that if I check the dialog box that says "Trust this computer" then without fail the problem appears.  If I uncheck, or do not check the box, i.e. if the dialog box is unchecked, then I have no problems.  I was one of the earlier posters (05-11-2008) and I have never received any substantial help from SanDisk.  Tis a shame.