Re: Cruzer® Profile 1GB doesn't initialize under Vista Home

To be honest, I'd of never believed this had I not just tried it.  I've been searching for a Vista fix for a long time.  I read elsewhere that no software needed to be loading on the host machine, but I had always figured this referred to actually installing software.  I guess they really meant no software needed!  I feel much better about the level of security this drive provides.  My guess is, short of tearing the thing open and attempting to hack it at the hardware level, no causal thief is gonna get in.  What got me concerned is an article I read regarding another thumbdrive w/biometric reader built-in (can't recall exactly who made it).  Anyway, it was found to have a serious vulnerablility that allowed access.  It would seem it utilized software-based authentication to confim the user's fingerprints.  If it detected a valid user it would simply call a function which allowed access to the secure volume.  This was seen using software that monitors USB traffic.  On top of that, bypassing authentication required very little effort as the volume was only hidden from Windows, not actually locked in any sense of the word.  I thought maybe that what was going on here; however, if the drive can unlock WITHOUT any software being run whatsoever--it definently does it's authentication completely in hardware.

The next thing I'm gonna try is seeing if it can be used to unlock BitLocker in the TPM+USB Key mode.  My guess is it might be possible since you should be able to unlock the drive despite being in a pre-boot state.  Just depends if BitLocker finds the proper volume.  It's also necessary to swipe your finger early enough since it needs read access access just prior to checking otherwise it instruct you to reboot and try again.  I believe USB devices momentarily lose power and are reset during early POST; if that is the case, the drive will lock itself upon restart.  I need to do some playing around and test this.  I'll post my results in case there's someone else who thinks TPM+USB Key still isn't enough:smileyhappy:

Re: Cruzer® Profile 1GB doesn't initialize under Vista Home

My Cruzer Profile works with Vista. When I plug it in it gives me a error message. Exit out and ignore the message.

JUST SCAN YOUR FINGER WHILE THE DEVICE IS PLUGGED IN and it will work. Please Note- No visual window will appear when you scan your finger. Just scan your finger and go to my computer to access the files.  Mine Works!!!!!! YEAAAAHHHH!