Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive 2GB

I just bought the "Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive 2GB" and notice when I insert it into my USB port that a icon appears in the lower right 'taskbar.'
Someone said it is called 'Launch Pad,' or something like that.
What is it for and what does it do?
We are senior citizens and just wanted a "plain old' flash drive.
If we really don't need it, is there any way to get rid of it without 'fouling' up the flash drive or our computer?

If we can get rid of it, how would we then remove the flash drive if we had to?

Thanks for any "user friendly" help. We are new at this.

Re: Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive 2GB

You can remove it very easily.

1) Left click once on that icon called LaunchPad.

2) When the LaunchPad pops up you should see Settings>> on the left side, left click it once, and then left click U3 LaunchPad Settings once.

3) A new window will open up, on the left side you should see Uninstall.  Left click that once.

4) Simply click the Uninstall U3 LaunchPad button and follow the onscreen prompts.

When it is done it will be a regular flash drive.

Thanks.
I plugged my "" CRUZER MICRO USB FLASH DRIVE 2.0GB" in one of the USB ports then I did what you said, but when we clicked on "Uninstall U3 LaunchPad " I get message:

"U3 Launchpad Removal. This program only supports one U3 drive removal. Exit the program and unplug extra drive then try again."

Also, you said:

"2) When the LaunchPad pops up you should see Settings>> on the left side, left click it once, and then left click U3 LaunchPad Settings once."

Settings were on the right side!

Is our "CRUZER MICRO USB FLASH DRIVE" also U3?
We only have wireless mouse plugged into one other USB port (on this desktop) .

Message Edited by bobbyz on 01-11-2008 05:39 PM

Message Edited by bobbyz on 01-11-2008 05:41 PM

Yes it would be a U3 flashdrive if it has the launchpad.

Make sure that only one flash drive is plugged in at one time and try removing the U3 application again. If you still receive this error try repeating the same process on a different computer to see if the same thing happens there as well. The U3 won't harm anything if it's not used. You would just use the removable disk partition under my computer and ignore the u3 partition.

@bobbyz wrote:
Thanks.
I plugged my "" CRUZER MICRO USB FLASH DRIVE 2.0GB" in one of the USB ports then I did what you said, but when we clicked on "Uninstall U3 LaunchPad " I get message:

"U3 Launchpad Removal. This program only supports one U3 drive removal. Exit the program and unplug extra drive then try again."

Also, you said:

"2) When the LaunchPad pops up you should see Settings>> on the left side, left click it once, and then left click U3 LaunchPad Settings once."

Settings were on the right side!

Is our "CRUZER MICRO USB FLASH DRIVE" also U3?
We only have wireless mouse plugged into one other USB port (on this desktop) .

Message Edited by bobbyz on 01-11-2008 05:39 PM

Message Edited by bobbyz on 01-11-2008 05:41 PM

bobbyz wrote:

this issue is caused by other USB mass storage devices that are connected to the computer. if you have other USB flash drives, external hard drives, or a external card reader connected to the computer disconnect them before you remove u3.

if you do not have other USB mass storage devices connected to the computer it is most likely caused by an internal card reader. if this is the case you will need to use device manager to disable all memory card ports before removing u3.

hope it helps. 
Highlighted

Ive done the removal several times on my U3 devices as well, try this

Plug in the Fd while holding shift down, this will cause the LaunchPad not to launch. Explore the U3 System in "My Computer" and there will be a ZIP folder, go into it and you will find an uninstaller exe for the U3. It will ask you if you want to back up your data when you uninstall it.

The launchpad will be removed and your done

Lj