When will Sandisk make mp3 players that use SDXC cards?

I am suprised they haven’t made any yet. Don’t they want to help promote the SDXC standard? There are those who want to replace a high capacity hard drive based player and want high capacity(over 64 GB) using flash memory this time around.

@jk98 wrote:

I am suprised they haven’t made any yet. Don’t they want to help promote the SDXC standard? There are those who want to replace a high capacity hard drive based player and want high capacity(over 64 GB) using flash memory this time around.

My fearless guess, is that they figure most of the people that buy their players, don’t want to spend more for a card than the player.

¡híjole!

If someone feels that a 64 GB SDXC card is too expensive, they could put a 32 GB SDHC card in the SDXC slot and buy the 64 GB SDXC card next year when prices are much lower. The idea is to greatly increase the number of items that will accept SDXC cards so that the cards can become mainstream as soon as possible. As long as very few devices use SDXC cards pricing will remain high. Hopefully a year from now there will be 128 GB SDXC cards.

@jk98 wrote:

If someone feels that a 64 GB SDXC card is too expensive, they could put a 32 GB SDHC card in the SDXC slot and buy the 64 GB SDXC card next year when prices are much lower. The idea is to greatly increase the number of items that will accept SDXC cards so that the cards can become mainstream as soon as possible. As long as very few devices use SDXC cards pricing will remain high. Hopefully a year from now there will be 128 GB SDXC cards.

Last I knew, SanDisk was a corporation…shareholders want profits…so why wouldn’t they want the price to remain high?:stuck_out_tongue:

“Last I knew, SanDisk was a corporation…shareholders want profits…so why wouldn’t they want the price to remain high?”

High enough, but not too high so that very few buy them.A very high price isn’t usually what maximizes profit. Profit maximization for a non essential item is usually with  moderate pricing and huge sales volumes.

No matter how rich a person is though, he won’t buy SDXC cards if he doesn’t have items that can use them.

@jk98 wrote:

Hopefully a year from now there will be 128 GB SDXC cards.

Hopefully next year there will be devices in which to use the SDXC format cards in. Otherwise, creating larger & larger capacity cards with no use (hence no value) is the proverbial

@jk98 wrote:

“Last I knew, SanDisk was a corporation…shareholders want profits…so why wouldn’t they want the price to remain high?”

High enough, but not too high so that very few buy them.A very high price isn’t usually what maximizes profit. Profit maximization for a non essential item is usually with  moderate pricing and huge sales volumes.

No matter how rich a person is though, he won’t buy SDXC cards if he doesn’t have items that can use them.

Aren’t they aimed more at the camera and videocamera market, than the DAP market? Oh wait…look at this…

SanDisk Ships 64GB SDXC Card

February 24, 2010

SanDisk Corporation today announced that it has begun shipping the 64 gigabyte (GB) SanDisk Ultra SDXC card, the company’s highest capacity SD card ever. With its 64GB capacity, up to 15MB/sec read speed and Class 4 speed rating, the new card is ideal for capturing and storing massive 1080p High-Definition video files and then transferring them quickly to a computer.

SDXC cards are based on the new SD 3.0 specification, which makes it possible to manufacture cards with storage capacity up to 2 terabytes (TB). The SDXC card’s exFAT file structure helps consumers record long-duration HD videos. The 64GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC card can store more than eight hours of such video with recording speed of 9 Mbps (HD standard).

“SDXC is the successor to the popular SDHC card format,” said Susan Park, director, retail product marketing, SanDisk. “The 64GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC card delivers the speed and capacity consumers need for extended HD video recording and improved rapid shooting of still images. The card is an ideal complement for recently-announced SDXC-compatible cameras and camcorders.”

Because the SD 3.0 specification was recently released, only a handful of devices may be immediately available that support SDXC cards. However, the pace of new camera model introduction supporting the SDXC format is accelerating. Canon announced at CES that all of its new VIXIA camcorder models and PowerShot cameras are compatible with SDXC cards. Widespread adoption of SDXC is expected to occur across a range of consumer electronic products including HDTVs, Blu-ray recorders/players, camcorders, cameras, mobile phones, navigation systems and computers. SanDisk ImageMate memory card readers are compatible with SDXC cards if the connected PC uses an operating system that supports exFAT.

The 64GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC card comes with a lifetime limited warranty. The card is available worldwide for $350.

Source: SanDisk

:dizzy_face:

Video uses plenty of space. still photos not so much unless you are a pro or semipro and shoot in RAW.

My digital camera is an 8 megapixel one, and it holds 288 images on a 1 GB card at the highest quality setting.

I use 1 and 2 GB cards with it. Even a 4 GB card would be overkill. I guess some people might get a 32 GB card for a camera like this, just so when they turn it on it shows space for around 9,000 photos :slight_smile: