Sandisk Ultra 64gb MicroSD Wont format.

Oh ok, Iā€™ll try sending this one back too, my last one was faulty -.-
If you find any fixes please post it here!

Iā€™m also having the same problem. Ā I canā€™t get anything to recognize the microSHXC (64GB) card anymore. Ā It was initially recognized by my Moto Droid Bionic. Ā Then it wasnā€™t. Ā My PC will only see it through Disk Management, but all attempts to format fail saying there is an error. Ā 

Isnā€™t there ANYONE from SanDisk who monitors this forum? Ā How do I do a warranty return here. Ā I canā€™t find ANY information from this site as to how to get them to support their ā€œUnlimited Warrantyā€ for this product!

Scott

Oh, and I have tried all the SD Associationā€™s formatting tool. Ā I even bought a Kingston microSDXC compatible reader. Ā No luck.

Scott

@gluefactorybjj wrote:

How do I do a warranty return here.  I canā€™t find ANY information from this site as to how to get them to support their ā€œUnlimited Warrantyā€ for this product!

You canā€™t do it here. But if you click on the SanDisk logo in the upper left of any page here, it will take you to SanDiskā€™s website. There you click on the Contact Us link in the upper right of that page.

Bingo-bango. You can either launch a Live Chat (US only) or call the Tech Support phone numbers listed on that page for assistance and/or RMA approval.

:smiley:

Tale of woe about 64gb MicroSD cards.

I love these things and have five of them but they donā€™t seem to take repeated formatting very well.Ā  After being satisfied with my first three I bought two more from Best Buy.Ā  Neither of them worked and Best Buy exchanged them.

One of them worked okay until I formatted it for the third or fourth time, then it failed.Ā  The other didnā€™t work at all.

I contacted SanDisk and got one of them replaced.Ā  It worked.

Then SanDisk replaced the second.Ā  It too worked.

I cannot now tell which card is which, but I the other day I reformatted one a couple of times and it stopped taking a format.Ā  Every time I tried it seemed to get worse.Ā  After a couple of failures I tried other formats than exFAT, with no luck.Ā  I tried another formatting tool which usually works but it too failed.

As I said above, I have five cards now.Ā  Only one of them remains bad and Iā€™m hoping that what a previous writer said is true - that there was a bad batch - because other than this string of issues, I have had great experiences with SanDisk products.Ā  Iā€™m almost embarrassed to ask for another replacement but although the price is reasonable,Ā $65 is just too much to let it go.Ā 

Imagine, $1.00 per gigabyte of storage!Ā  On a card smaller than my thumbnail!Ā  Outstanding!Ā  If they become more reliable Iā€™l be picking up at least two more.

@richa60 wrote:

I love these things and have five of them but they donā€™t seem to take repeated formatting very well.  After being satisfied with my first three I bought two more from Best Buy.  Neither of them worked and Best Buy exchanged them.

One of them worked okay until I formatted it for the third or fourth time, then it failed.  The other didnā€™t work at all.

I contacted SanDisk and got one of them replaced.  It worked.

Then SanDisk replaced the second.  It too worked.

I cannot now tell which card is which, but I the other day I reformatted one a couple of times and it stopped taking a format.   Every time I tried it seemed to get worse.  After a couple of failures I tried other formats than exFAT , with no luck.  I tried another formatting tool which usually works but it too failed.

OK, Iā€™ll bite. Whatā€™s with all the formatting? This should be a rare occurance, a last resort, a once in a great while sort of thing. Not an daily or hourly ritual. :confounded:

@richa60 wrote:

I love these things and have five of them but they donā€™t seem to take repeated formatting very well.  After being satisfied with my first three I bought two more from Best Buy.  Neither of them worked and Best Buy exchanged them.

One of them worked okay until I formatted it for the third or fourth time, then it failed.  The other didnā€™t work at all.

I contacted SanDisk and got one of them replaced.  It worked.

Then SanDisk replaced the second.  It too worked.

I cannot now tell which card is which, but I the other day I reformatted one a couple of times and it stopped taking a format.   Every time I tried it seemed to get worse.  After a couple of failures I tried other formats than exFAT , with no luck.  I tried another formatting tool which usually works but it too failed.

OK, Iā€™ll bite. Whatā€™s with all the formatting? This should be a rare occurance, a last resort, a once in a great while sort of thing. Not an daily or hourly ritual. 

What youā€™re doing sounds akin to tearing down and rebuildiing your carā€™s engine every weekend, just so itā€™s fresh for the next weekā€™s commute.

:confounded:

Thatā€™s a bad example/comparision. Ā These guys are not tearing down their card and rebuilding it physically as in your example. Ā They are logically changing the maps within the card. Ā A better example would be chipping their computer within their engine and adjusting their timing for more performanceā€¦ something more ā€œlogicalā€ or map related. Ā And, in my opinion, there is no difference between writing data to a sector/block or foratmatting the card. Ā itā€™s all writes.

I propose you format your SD card with MS-DOS (FAT32) and enjoy it!

I had a similar problem. I have a Galaxy S3 and was able to format it through the phone fine. but when I plugged it into 2 diferent computers, XP and Windows 7, it would not format correctly I had 72-1 reader I bought a year ago that read all sd cards, even the new 32GB cards. But found out finally that is was still to old for the new 64GB cards. I purchased the (SDDR-289 reader) and now I can use my 64GB card anywhere I go. Only formatted once on the phone. Then it was plug and play on the computers and they instantly reconized the card at 59.47GB capacity. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

I was putting movies in my sd card for long time but yesterday I couldnā€™t play them. They were there but wonā€™t play. Then I tried to delete them couldnā€™t, tried to format first in my laptop couldnā€™t, then I tried in my samsung galaxy s3, formatting is done but files still remain there.
I donā€™t care that much about files but I would love to fix my sd card.
I can access old files, I can put pics, music, microsoft office files and they work but not movies and canā€™t delete files.
Please help me

Installing the SD formatting tool formatted the disk but the computer was not recognizing it. I went to microsoft website and searched and downloading an update and then it working and my SD card functioned as normalā€¦ I put my SD card into another computer and it acted like it originally did with the issue. I did the same thing as downloading the update from the microsoft website and everything works as a charm afterwards.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364

KB955704 is the update for windows XP that was downloaded to get this to work properly.

Hope this works for you guysā€¦

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364

KB955704 is the update for windows XP that was downloaded to get this to work properly.

I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB In My mobile device type Galaxy S5 I want to do formate and When you attempt to de formate SanDisk Ultra by windows show:- ( window was unable to complete the format), and when attempt format by Sd formataatar:- ( the Memory Card is write-Protected Please relase The Write Protect switch ) Please help me to do format The Memory Thank you very much

Same here, what a drama - just bought a SanDisk microSDXC UHS-1 64GB with adapter.

No way I can format it under Windows 7 x64.

Seems there is no solution for this.

***SOLUTION***

I had a problem with a 64 GB SDXC card yesterday. Itā€™s capacity showed as ā€œ1 MBā€ on all devices and showed both ā€œNO SDā€ and ā€œSD ERRā€ in my GoPro Hero 3+ Black (v3.0.0). I tried formatting using a computer (Win 8) with diskpart.exe as well as other reformat tools. No luck. I then plugged it back into my GoPro and tried reformatting it on there (settings>erase>erase all/format). This seemed to fix the problem and it now recognized it as a 64GB card on my devices and functions normally.Ā 

That said, there seems to be no way to recover any data on the card. This needs to be addressed by SanDisk however I have not yet gone through the hassle of contacting them.Ā 

I had the same problem as everyone else here on the forum. Nothing worked but this.

You have to format the card using Windows Command level option;

1. Run and type ā€œcmdā€

2. Then type; ā€œformat L:ā€

3. Get a cup pf coffee and relax

Notes

** L = your sd card drive letter

** donā€™t use quotation marks

** there is a space between format and the drive letter

Yes, I have the same problem! When i try to format sd card after this all data is stayng on the disc :stuck_out_tongue:

Please Help !Ā 

I was able to format my card eventuallyā€¦

I had searched and tried many ways including formatting via command prompt, formatting through my android and formatting through windows.

When trying to format with windows it would only give me the option to format it at 27gig.

In my android device it said that it successfully formatted and appeared to 64gig. however when connecting to USB in window it was still only 27gig.Ā 

I finally got it to format using the DJI OSMO UHD camera whilst connected to a USB port with Windows 7. upon connecting to windows through the camera, windows prompted me to format it and it allowed the full 64gig to be formattedā€¦ Thatā€™s it!

I hope it helps someone out as I was almost going to try and get sandisk to replace it.

Good luck!