SanDisk Extreme Pro sdxc UHS-I Card 64 GB and Nikon D40

Till date I have used several types of SDHC cards, mostly Sandisk, with my Nikon D40. Hoever, whenever I insert the newly bought SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB card into my camera, it says " Card not identified. Format the card". Even after formatting, it shows nothing. Also, at most times, it does not even insert properly in the camera slot, and seems to get stuck, and I have to keep pressing before it releases from the slot.

My question is, are SanDisk Extreme Pro cards compatible with Nikon D40 cameras or not?

I am about to buy a D5300 soon, could I use my SD card with that camera, or do you think that the card I bought is not genuine or actually defective?

it looks like the D40 is only compatible with cards up to 32GB. 64GB cards use a file system called exFAT and are not compatible with older cameras.

here is a link to the sandisk product compatibility tool

Compatiblity tool

http://pct1.sandisk.com/NewSearch.aspx

Looks like the D5300 can use up to 512GB cards so using this card in that camera will be no problem. 

• Step1. Download and install the data recovery software on your computer. Connect the micro SD card to your computer. Then, you can run the software and choose a recovery module.
  • Step2. Choose the micro SD card and let the software scan the card for lost files. You only need to wait when the software is scanning.
  • Step3. You can preview the found files after scanning. Then, you can select the files you need and recover them.

Check complete details in Nikon D40 Manual