My micro sd card has only "read only" priveleges when I insert it in my computer

I bought a SanDisk 16 gig micro sd card for my blackberry and inserted it. I then wanted to load some songs and photos onto it (files that I backed up from the blackberry’s 8 GB card) using my MacBook. But when I use the adapter card and connect it to my computer, it recognizes it as a Blackberry micro sd card but says I have read only permission. It won’t let me transfer any files to the micro sd card. 

Everywhere I look, I don’t see any options for changing the permissions – or even for reformatting the card and starting anew. 

WHether it’s in the blackberry or in the computer, the options are pretty minimal . 

I’ve tried moving the little switch on the adapter but that doesn’t do anything.

Tomorrow, I’ll have access to a cord to connect the blackberry (with card inserted) directly to the computer. WE’ll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

I have had the same problem.

When googling around, the only response I saw was to move the tab on the adapter to the unlocked position.I have tried many times to create folders or copynpaste into the card (32 GB micro sdhc, UHS speed class 1 for me) with the small tab in both the locked and unlocked position, and get a message that the device is write protected.

This happens under both Windows Vista and Lubuntu.

I have been able to transfer files to the card through the USB cable to my phone, but it is a pain, feels less secure, and defeats the purpose of having the adapter. 

I found out the cause of my trouble – a hardware problem, not a software problem.

When I would insert the card, the tab would indeed, be in the up, unlock, position, but while pushing the card into the slot, the edge of the tab would get caught on the wall of the slot, pushing it downward into the lock position.

I would remove the card and find it locked, not as I had inserted it.

By fidgeting with the card, I was able to get it in without the tab getting caught, then transfer my files without a problem. 

So basically, the free adapter they give you ■■■■■ and the design should be a downward “lock”.

By the way, I was using an four-year-old HP Pavilion laptop.

Good “find” there. Thanks for sharing. Others may benefit from your experience.

Don’t know if this will help but after numerous attempts based on multiple online searches and trying everything under the sun what finally worked was changing the adapter. I had two other adpaters from other brands and one of them gave me the same error messages but lo and behold, one of them worked properly. So with all of that, what worked for me was using a different adapter unit.

Hope this helps somebody because the amount of time wasted trying to get these things to work is abysmal and frustrating. Good luck!

Don’t know if this will help but after numerous attempts based on multiple online searches and trying everything under the sun what finally worked was changing the adapter. I had two other adpaters from other brands and one of them gave me the same error messages but lo and behold, one of them worked properly. So with all of that, what worked for me was using a different adapter unit.

Hope this helps somebody because the amount of time wasted trying to get these things to work is abysmal and frustrating. Good luck!

I had the same problem with my Micro SD card and found out it was the card adapter was bad bought a universal one from Best Buy works fine now.