Missing 4gb of space on San Disk 64 Gb microSD / microSDXC card [ 59.45 gb total space ??]

Missing 4gb of space on San Disk 64 Gb microSD / microSDXC card [59.45 gb total space ??]

Hello SanDisk forms .  I recently purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card.

I  inserted the microSD card into my phone.  

In android settings it said that the SD card had 59.45 GB  of total space, and 59.44 GB available [???] .

I thought it was a bit odd that a 64 gb SD card seems to be missing more than 4 GB out of the box !!

I interfaced  the SD card to my computer and I fully erased and reformatted the SD card into ExFAT.

I then reinserted the card into my phone ,  however it still says that the card only has 59.45 GB  of total space.

This is a problem I’ve noticed with other manufacturers of hard drives and some USB sticks,  who maybe advertise a disk as 1 TB for example ,  however is missing significantly more space than as advertised [that usually makes me angry and I leave bad reviews about that , since I think it is false advertising.]

Although ,  most reviews around the internet rate this is a good piece of hardware.

Anyway , thank you very much in advance for any help !

@1914 wrote:

I thought it was a bit odd that a 64 gb SD card seems to be missing more than 4 GB out of the box !!

Perfectly normal. Not odd at all.

Read this . . .

Sorry to contradict you, but i exactly know the system they use to bluff the customers. I know they use 1000 byte system when should have used 1024 byte sytem to calculate the space on the devices they sell. But is you take even that for granted, then for a 64 gb sd card, we devide 64000/1024 = 62.5gb, they should provide 62.5 gb of space. But the space given on sanDisk Sd card is around 59.4… where the hell are remaining 3 GBs?? Its not normal at all… 

The 1000 byte vs 1024 byte explains away more than just a gigabyte and a half. The binary GIGA prefix means 2^30, or 1024*1024*1024, while GIGA everywhere else means 10^9, or 1000*1000*1000. (64*10^9)/2^30 = 59.60. I would imagine the last 0.2 GB is lost to the file system.

Same happend with me exactly same why 4.5 gb is less in card 

I have a 31.9 GB capacity iXpand to bring with me on a lengthy trip, along with another flash drive. Debating about whether or not to bring my 1TB external harddrive along as well, I decided to experiment with how much storing I could get away with by seeing if I could copy the 22 or so GB LOTRO game launcher onto the iXpand.

The iXpand got hot to the touch and had only about 8 GB remaining by the time the game launcher was completely copied onto it. I decided it wasn’t worth taking up so much space on that drive, and deleted it from the iXpand.

But iXpand still gets hot to the touch after being plugged in and still only shows 8 GB available.

Is this reparable?

Hello Just Asking some are saying that the capacity of their sd card is 59gb only, can someone explain to me why my sd card is still 63.83gb ?? Sandisk Ultra Micro SDXC 64GB Class 10 UHS-I SDSQUNS-064G Memory Card - NEW MODEL (Speed up to 80MB/s)