How to repair micro sd 16gb card? It shows 31mb

Try to use SD Formatter. its free

http://www.4shared.com/get/rRGu9dZ5/SD_FORMATTER.html

1 Like

Hey, I had the same problem with 32 gb microsdhc card. It use have a capacity of 31.2 gb but then it crashed and only read 512 kb. I tried formatting tools and everything, that didnt work. I then put it into a digital camera and formatted it which got it back to 31.2 gb :slight_smile:

1 Like

MY 16GB USB FLASH DRIVE IS BAD AND I JUST BOUGHT IT I CANT COPY FILE INTO IT, EACH TIME I TRY COPYING FILE INTO IT THERE IS ALWAY A MESSAGE THAT SAY RIGHTLY PROTECTED

SDCZ50-016G-B35

@presido wrote:

MY 16GB USB FLASH DRIVE IS BAD AND I JUST BOUGHT IT I CANT COPY FILE INTO IT, EACH TIME I TRY COPYING FILE INTO IT THERE IS ALWAY A MESSAGE THAT SAY RIGHTLY PROTECTED

SDCZ50-016G-B35

If you look around, there seem to be quite a few people having this problem, with no known solution, either from other members or SanDisk themselves.

The only thing you can do is return it.

How to repair micro sd  2gb card? It shows 31mb

i have to recover my files please help me

Sridhar

NIvas Communication

Read Message #8 of this thread. If that doesn’t work, then see the post directly above yours.

I am stuck with the same problem. My Micro SD threw up on me , when  one slightly “fat” sized MicroSD adapter, go stuck in a built in Laptop SD card reader and I had to use clippers to get it out. The adatper  had scratches on it but the microsd should have worked. Now it shows 8mb instead of 4gb

There has to be some BLOCK level formatting utility that wipes clean the data.

How about Fdisk in linux or gtparted. Could someone post their exp with those.

THanks

Sam

This may help anyone who has a simular problem with an SD memory card shoing the wrong size. Use the SD formatter 3.0.  It can be downloaded from the SD association’s website.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Choose options, then change Size Adjustment to ON.

Format your SD card:

Refresh:

Your SD card should now show the correct size

Use the SD formatter 3.0.  It can be downloaded from the SD association’s website.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/eula_windows/

Choose options, then change Size Adjustment to ON.

this is the only way to fix using gparted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3_jb-zXLcM&feature=related

Have you actually tested this before posting? I have, and it does not work. It seems that these cards are ■■■■, and it’s beyond repair.

The problem may be that the electronic device you’re using, it may not support the capacity of the card. For example, I have a digital camcorder that’s from 2001 and a camera from 2008. Here is the information displayed using fdisk under Linux for a 2GB SD card:

When the card is in the camera:

Disk /dev/sdd: 2021 MB, 2021654528 bytes
2 heads, 24 sectors/track, 82261 cylinders, total 3948544 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdd1            2048     3948543     1973248    6  FAT16

When the card is in the camcorder:

Disk /dev/sdd: 1010 MB, 1010827264 bytes
2 heads, 24 sectors/track, 41130 cylinders, total 1974272 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdd1            2048     3948543     1973248    6  FAT16

As you can see here the camera reports the correct capacity, 2021MB, the camcorder on the other hand reports only 1010MB. In the user manual for the camcorder is says it supports 8,16,32,64MB SD cards so it appears that the camcorder firmware only supports SD cards up to 1GB. The problem might actually be in the firmware of the electronic device being used and might be fixed with a firmware update from the manufacturer if one exists.

This problem can occur if there is a Linux image on the drive. In that scenario Windows does no see the drive as a whole, but as two separate devices, one of which Windows can not see at all. That is why SD formatter cant change the size of it, its not showing as a partition, but as a device. If you have a machine running Linux, pop the card in there and use a disk utility to fix it. If you dont, download the gparted-live iso, burn it to a cd and boot from it.

Same problem here, but for a 64 gb model. Quite bad…

What caused the problem:

Trying to create an encrypted osx file system on the SD card.

(plz don’t discuss the WHY now)

What i did so far:

Testing in Win/Lin/OSX. None of the tools works. dd can just copy 32 mb, fdisk won’t write any new values.

Also testet different adapters.

Also tried in n900. Does not boot with the card.

Formatting in an Android tablet does also not help.

Last hope would be the GoPro camera?

But i guess i burned the card…

I know this an older thread but I solved this problem using the following: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/

Hope this helps somebody out:)

1 Like

glad to help you.before i use a micro SD card data recovery  software, i dare not to think about recovering my deleted pictures, images, photos, videos,etc. this kind of tools are fantastic!:smiley: hope this helps you!

Why do the holidays seem to bring out all the spammers?

:angry:

this worked for me. I selected the Format Size Adjustment to “on” under the Options button. the 297mb card magically had 29.7gb after formatting. pretty sure the card was linux formatted for a cyanogenmod boot drive which is why it did not show full capacity. thanks a bunch unklefunky

I have a 16 gb micro sd card that i have for my galaxy s3 but it wont format. I even tried to format in on my computer but the computer states it cant compleet the format. I have only had the SD card maybe a week.