SanDisk Guru

Re: Faulty 16GB Micro SD Card

Don't know as it will help everybody, but it should at least help somebody. Smiley Tongue

Thanks for posting!

Hi there , I bought a microSDHC Card  32gb to use with the car camera , it worked fine for 3 days then it started to have problems . ( I bought the card from an online retailer in Australia)

I can access the card with the camera connected to the pc (Windows 7) , I can open the folders and see the files but can't open anyone of them , the pc just hang.

I have tried to format it with the camera and pc in every possible way available , nothing work , messages I get are : media is write protected , volume could be corrupted,can't be formatted etc....

Program use : SD Formatter, HP Storage formatter , disk management , etc....

Hp Formatter doesn't even work if the card (in the adapter, unlocked) is insert in the pc. Some of them just hang until I remove the card.

I wanted to check if the card is original but nothing work.

I'll send it back to the sender and see what he has to say . Communication was very poor , he just told me to send it back . (Maybe this is not the first time). Bought it from 'crazyshopping.com.au'  (That was cleaver of me Smiley Embarassed

hi just bought 16gb class 4 micro sd sandisk  card from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001F7AJKI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

put into a cheap card reader  from amazon (which supposed to read up to 32gb) http://www.amazon.co.uk/MICRO-SD-MICRO-SDHC-MEMORY-READER/dp/B002WKD0CQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UT... 

and connected to my usb2 port on my pc tower with xp sp3

some files copy, others crash/close the window with error/fail message  .   i re-open the  window and try again and sometimes it works , sometimes i repeat this process a few times until file copies over completely (and window does not crash or close).   but usually crashes again when trying to copy another file.  completely random. crashes on files as small as 10mb.

never crashes when reading the files.    have almost filled the card with fully working files trying to understand it and see if the capacity was there.  is is.    so i'm assuming it's not a fake card as it is 15/16gb tested.

was 7 uk pounds so not overly bothered about returning unless fully sure card is faulty.    at themoment not sure if it is reader or card.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

It would be inexpensive enough to try another card reader.

Edit: I see 4 others have complained (in reviews) that they too had problems with this reader. 3 didn't work off the bat and 1 failed after a couple of weeks.

This describes my scenario exactly - right down to not wanting to do the exchange.  I have tried the SD formatter listed in the replies and I chose the options full erase and full overwrite.  This is when the micro SD is in a USB stick with no write protect switch.  I also put it in the SanDisk full SD sized adapter and made sure the switch was set to write.  I tried the switch in the other direction - multiple times and nothing works.  The SD formatter says it is write protected and Windows simply tries formatting for a while and eventually fails.  I tried a low-level formatting program and it just gave error after error.  Any ideas?

My suggestion if you want to protect the data but take advantage of the 1 time exchange option. Copy the data from the disk, to 2 different sources (so you are sure to have it) then get a big magnet and rub it all over the disk, on both sides. The data will be gone and you can send the disk in. Of course I do not know what anyone else woulod saay about that. When I used to have 3.5" disks, before I tossed them in the trash I used to mag wipe them, same for video tapes, etc.

I have a micro SD Sandisk 16GB and why does it show on windows MY Computer 14.8GB instead of16GB?

SanDisk Guru

@gram20122022 wrote:

I have a micro SD Sandisk 16GB and why does it show on windows MY Computer 14.8GB instead of16GB?

Because that's the actual usuable space on a 16GB card.

1% failure rate may not sound like much but it sure leaves a lot of people extremely dissapointed

when you are a part of that 1% it is a 100% failure for you!

I have a 16GB Micro SD card for my phone and i had the similar problem. My phone randomly decided not to read the card.. i tried to format it and it was write-protected, so i got a Micro SD Adapter and Unlocked it then put it in my pc and formated it like that,  works fine now Smiley Happy