Faulty 16GB Micro SD Card

Hi, I have the same problem but with a SanDisk 8 GB MicroSDHC (class 4, I think)  card. It worked well on my HTC Legend for a month plus - I could read and write on it - and then without noticing it, the care write-protected itself. I only realised this recently when I downloaded a file and took some pictures with the phone. Everytime I tried to access the new files either through my phone or PC, the file “mysteriously” disappears. The old files are still there and I can make a backup of the card.

I have tried formatting it via the PC format feature and the SDFormatter from sdcard.org web site but to no avail. The PC format formats it as per normal but tells me at the end of a full format that “Windows is unable to complete the format”. SDFormatter tells me from the start that the card is write-protected and tells me to unprotect it first.

I have tried using the recommended troubleshooting steps of using and microSD adapter and toggling the physcial lock switch e times, keeping it at the lock position for 30 seconds and finally sliding to the unlock position but to no avail also.

My dilemma is that I do not want to do a one-to-one exchange as the data can still be read and copied, and I do not want them to get into the wrong hands. So a one-to-one exchange is not a solution for me. I want the card to work! Please help to advise on a method that I have not tried.

Regards,

JK