FORMAT 64GB MICRO SDXC PROBLEM

I try SD Formatter v3.1,error message is (The memory card is write-protected.please release the write-protect switch),

I check memory card switch is unlock.

There is no lock switch on the micro-sized SD cards as there is on the full-size ones.

If it is still showing as write-protected, it is most likely defective and should be exhanged/eplaced under warranty by SanDisk.

1 Like

I use 64Gb micro sdxc to adaptor have lock/unlock switch,

checking  always is unlock and use another micro sdxc adaptor to test ,same problem,

try another card reader and use another pc test,same problem.

I have e-mail sandisk technical supports to claim warranty.

sandisk is good product,i purchase sandisk many model 8,16,32gb usb flash drives , 64gb micro sdxc x 2pcs  ,64,128GB sdxc  card and 128gb ssd 

only i pcs 64gb micro sdxc problems,i need sent for warranty,already have RMA,sandisk support call me just wait …until 3 month ,but respond too slow.

i hope give me give me reply.

1 Like

I have received warranty claim sandisk 64Gb micro sdxc,I testing Read/Write ok ,

deliver very fast & service very good,Thank you all sandisk supports .

I purchased a Sandisk Ultra micro SDXC 64GB card with adapter a number of months ago to go with my Samsung Note 2.

I didn’t havew a reason to use until just this week. So I went ahead and put it into my phone but it wouldn’t recognise it. I got a message saying that the disk was blank or had the wrong filesystem.

So I put it into my laptop and I was asked to format it.

This I tried as NTFS, FAT and exFAT both through a Quick Format and a non-Quick Format. Nothing. The Quick Format stopped straight away while the longer format went approx 80% of the way before saying that “Windows was unable to complete the format.” It gave the usual check if read-only etc but all was in order.

When I went into Disk Management the microSD Card was only showing Capacity as 31MB (that is MEGA not GIGA), with the File System as RAW and Status as Healthy.

Upon checking Properties the information shows 0 (Zero) bytes for Used and Free Space. 

Is there something that I am missing here or is the card a dud?

Don’t know why but it seems to me the SanDisk product reliability has taken a sharp nosedive.  I install decentralised digital video surveillance with micro sd cards as storage.  Previous 16, 32gb were much more reliable.  Currently 50% of my recent micro sd cards won’t even format complete out of the box .  Another 25% fail within 30 days.  That leaves on 25% that really work.  Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

You Need This File From Microsoft Web Site

Go To               http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364

And Get                                          Update for Windows XP (KB955704)

The File Should Be Called           WindowsXP-KB955704-x86-ENU.exe

Les

I have 8 of these cards (64Gb and 32Gb) which cost us over £300, and after a few months of service, none of them work. We are asked to reformat, but only 30.6Mb is shown as memory, and then neither Windows nor Mac can format any of them. They are within warranty, and I hope that SanDisk will honour the warranty. So far, they have sent me a reply asking for a lot of information about each card, much of which is hardly visible. Let’s see what happens, but they do seem to have a quality problem with their cards.

Just to be clear, this thread is concerned with the 64GB SDXC cards. Only the 64GB size is the newer SDXC format. the 32GB ones are still SDHC.

I had similar problems with my Sandisk 64GB micro sdxc when I attempted to mount the card in my Samsung I9300 International version. After formatting the card with my Windows 7 operating system my phone displayed the following message: 

“SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it.”

The solution to my problem was to format my SD card in FAT32 instead of exFAT. 

I did this using the following method devised by http://forum.xda-developers.com user lynkdead

CONSEQUENCES OF METHOD: 1.) this process will erase all data on the card.

2.) you will no longer be able to transfer files larger than 4gb to the card 

1. Place the card in your PC’s card reader and determine the drive designation (i.e., G:, H:, etc.)

2. Download the fat32format utility in GUI version from here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe. Click on the picture to retrieve the file.

3. Launch the guiformat.exe.

4. Choose the drive that corresponds to your SD card.

5. Choose the size of the SD Card you are formatting.

6. Check the Quick Format box.

7. Press Start.

Enjoy your usable SD card 

You problem same with me!

The quick format did not work, just FYI ( : http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe )

64GB Sandisk SDXC

Mine was running perfectly for about 3 months, no issues then all of a sudden last week it stopped saving files (any files) in my Samsung Note 3…I’ve tried formatting in the phone, now with SanDisk Adapter on my PC…this ■■■■■!  Luckily I was able to copy all my files over to my PC prior…so once (hopefully) I do get the SD fixed I can reload the files

1 Like

I am also a victim… I never believed SanDisk can fail so when my first 64gb micro sd card failed on my galaxy note 2 last year I blamed it on samsung but a 2nd one just failed 2 days ago…

Apparently,  when they fail u neither can copy to it or delete files already in it nor format it… I hv tried formatting it with all possible procedures n it cannot be formatted. …This is a huge let down on SanDisk. … I hv three 16gb SanDisk I bought like 3 to 4 years back n also a 32gb version n they have never failed me but in less than a year, two 64gb ultra SanDisk hv failed me…I am so much heartbroken and like u rightly said please no one should buy an ultra 64gb SanDisk cos it fails more when u get to the 40gb limit…I am presently using a third 64gb ultra SanDisk micro sd card on my galaxy note 10.1 n hv already accepted my faith that it may fail someday. … its time to move on to a new brand… am done with SanDisk for now…This is very very bad from u SanDisk. …

THE SANDISK MOBILE ULTRA 64GB MICRO SD CARD HAS FAILED ME TWICE & I CURRENTLY BLINDLY PURCHASED A THIRD ONE BEFORE THE SECOND ONE FAILED. … I ALREADY KNOW MY FAITH WITHOUT IT…PLEASE & PLEASE DONT BUY IT

Same issue - I purchased the 64GB Micro-sd card in Feb-2014, then found that I could not save any more files in July-2014.

I have tried everythng, including low level format, the card is still write protected. It becomes useless.

I will surely not buy SanDisk memory card again.

:smiley:   Hi CharlesLeung888,

Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome.

Please friend, do not grieve more, return it, is defective.

See link, and you might have a pleasant surprise: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

To obtain, the internal data card, you can use the utility (free): USB Flash ChipGenius 4.00, http://filecloud.io/rqa7etmv

To find out more on this, see here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/HELP-how-do-i-reomove-write-protected-message-from-my-16gb-flash/m-p/323924#M8925

Luck.

Regards, Alfred.                                                                                (Google translated)

I would like to add my voice to the list of defective Sandisk 64gb micro sdxc card. Hardly use it and now I can’t reformat or delete the contents. I have tried every tools and tricks on both Windows and Linux and Android OS. The card is defective and it is a worry!

Can Sandisk replace my faulty card?

Yes.

Contact with SanDisk Technical Support: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

Yes they can replace it… I just received shipment of two 64gb micro sd cards that also failed in same manner like yours… contact their support and if u still have your failed micro sd card. …u will be answered

SAME EXACT PROBLEM

No way of formatting.

Frozen state!!

I believed it started the day I upgraded to 4.3 too (Xperia Z1). This is weird.

ps: I live in Argentina so there is no way of RMA for me :frowning:

1 Like