CF Card failure - a bit different

I just experienced this failure and wanted to share how I managed to rescue my CF card. This is kind of lengthy, but sometimes details are necessary!

1. I downloaded the SanDisk RescuePRO DELUXE trial program: http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-rescuepro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/

It will let you save 25 photos - there’s also a PRO DELUXE Professional version available to trial. It may possibly let you recover more. But I’m just guessing.

2, After downloading and running, it found over a thousand photos on my little 2Gig card - photos from several years ago, even though I routinely deleted pictures after each download. Most pictures were screwed up - looking at the thumbnails, there were two, sometimes three copies of each photo. The first being a full sized photo, or would have been if it wasn’t half green or half missing, a small thumbnail sized photo, and sometimes two thumbnail sized. Very few were usable and I chose not to save any of them.

I tried to simply delete them from my card, but they wouldn’t delete.

SO…

1. Next I left the card in my card reader and opened my System Mechanic Pro and chose to scrub the drive - my CF card being in E Drive. It took about 20 minutes, but it came out clean. I think most maintenance/performance programs have a drive scrubber. It’s worth a try.

2. Put the card back into the camera - Canon EOS Rebel XT - went to MENU and selected Format. It quickly formatted, I tested the camera by taking a few shots, downloaded them, and ta-da! everything is fine and dandy.

I hope this helps!

Mrs Berry