CF Card failure - a bit different

Hello!

First: Im from Norway, and my english are awful! Then: Why are you taking your card out of the camera, instead of using the cabel who followed the camera? I had a EOS 50D, using Kingston 600x cards, and using cabel to transfer picture over to my computer. After that I always formatt my cards in the camera, and I have had no problems with my cards. The only problems I have had was when I tried 600x cards from Trancend, who never manage to transfer picture directly from camera to the computer. Canon said the problem had to be the compability between the card and the camera. Why I ask if you tried using the cabel for transferring data, is that Im planning to buy one or two cards from SanDisc, but I didn`t like what I saw on this pages. Maybe I after all should stay with my cards from Kingston, and be happy with that?

Just got a new Extreme 32 San Disk.  Camera (G15 Canon) recognizes card.  Shot video and stills and iphoto doesn’t recognize the thing.  It recognizes my old 2 gb Kingston just fine but not this thing.  Insert the card in reader, plug it into usb, zip, nothing, nada.  Luckily, what I shot were tests but I did format the card with the same result.  

Replying to myself but here it is.  Got a new reader, a Case Logic 55 in 1 reader/writer.  The Extreme San Disk works with this, for me.  Iphoto recognized the card through this reader but not the old jump drive I have been using.  Downloaded images fine.

I recently, about a week ago, purchased a SanDisk Ultra 4 GB card. the photos I took today are recorded on the card but when I try to transfer them via card reader to my pc, on Picasa/MyPhoto Gallery, they are not recognized. I do not have the cable to transfer them directly from the camera, therefr, am unable to access them.  I used the same setup to transfer photos yesterday from a different brand of card  and it worked perfectly!

Cards are not cheap and that is a poor example for their publicity! I always thought SanDisk was supposed to be a top brand!

Hey Everyone,
I just came across this forum while Googling for an answer. I don’t use SanDisk but Lexar Professional cards (16GB and 32GB). In the past year, I’ve had two cards go bad on me this way. One could not be reformatted at all, and had to be sent-in for warranty replacement. The second one was successfully reformatted, but in doing so, lost hundreds of photos from a recent client shoot, resulting in having me issue a full refund.

I just wanted everyone to know the issue isn’t exclusive to SanDisk.

However, I never experienced these issues with my 8GB cards, only 16/32GB. The cards work fine in camera. My camera takes the shots, records them, lets me view and zoom in. But the issue happens when I try to transfer the files (I use a USB 3.0 Lexar card reader on my iMac). It simply wouldn’t mount on two occasions in the past year. Upon pulling the card out (due to inactivity after a few minutes), my Mac would claim I did not eject the disk properly. Upon re-inserting the card, my Mac just claims the disk is not formatted. I then put the card back into the camera, but that too claims it isn’t formatted.

Something is happening when one tries to transfer the files using a card reader, and the computer somehow corrupts the file system.

Rare, but it does happen. Seemingly on both the PC and Mac.

My only option is to switch back to 8GB cards, which is a pity, because I’ve spent over $1000 on the twelve 16/32GB CF cards I use.

I have just the same problem - but with an 8Gb card - Extreme III - so its not just the larger cards. Never had problems with Lexar so will stick with them!

Correction: now it works - I left it in the card slot for over an hour, and eventually it was recognised. I’ve been able to format it and now seems ok.:smiley:

Hello everyone…

I have another problem to state with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 gb cf card i just bought. When i record with my canon xf100 it stops after every 5:15 min giving me an error and telling me that the camera needs to recover data. Had anyone face the same problem?

Hello.

I have a XF100 too and thi is another error. This camera only supports cards with UDMA 6 and UDMA7. It’s because of the internal buffer memory speed. I had to buy a Sandisk Extreme Pro for the XF100 and it works fine… till now… my Extreme Pro 32 Gb is in this “error” state that many people is complaining about on this forum. I could save half of the video clips on the card.

I’ve seen more CF card errors now, with UDMA 6 and 7 cards then the last 8 years. I have about 140GB in many different sizes and brands and never had any card error in the last 8 years… What’s wrong? Can it be an issue with Magic Lantern? Or maybe we are storaging next to our cell phones and radiation affects this new cards. Or is it just an issue with new card readers and USB 3.0 thecnology. Any ideas?

Partial solution :I had a similar problem, the card corrupted halfway through the shoot.

I used AidFile Recovery : http://www.aidfile.com/

Just a warning, the free version only recovers the first 1GB of data, for any more you need to pay the registration fee which is $69

Goodluck

My Sandisk was the same problem! I was seeing the photos with my mother it appeared there one  message, and I had no the opportunity to spend my photos elsewhere, for example to my computer! I’m sad because I lost a lot of nice picturesI’m sad because I lost a lot of nice pictures!

I had the same problem with a 16GB CF card using my Canon 7D at a wedding.  Just as the Bride was turning down the Isle the card stop working and read error…error…  When I took it out and put it in other card readers it would not get recognized at all.  I sent it to a recover company here in Michigan and they said it had nothing on it.  I know it had almost 300 images on it.  I am a professional photographer and I am always looking at what I have shot to check the lighting and manual setting.   There were images there.  I got it back and found a company through other forums on the internet that can take the chip out of the card and recover the images even if others say there is nothing there.  It is call recoverfab out of Germany.  I was a bit afraid to send a card to Germany but what did I have to loose.  It was already damaged.  I sent it about 10 days ago and got an email today that they recovered 267 images of the close to 3 hundred I had on it.  They look great.  I have checked them out on the website preview.  I will downlowd them today.  The cost was very resonable.  This was wedding footage I needed to recover for my client.  Now remember the recovery company I used here (I know the owner of this company he is a friend) could not recover them. Recoverfab saved my images.  They were great.

Similar problem for me, my 16GB card was working fine until I put it in my computer’s onboard card reader to download the photos (something I’ve done many times before). This time it did not want to read the card, so tried to re-insert it a few times, then got a message saying card needs to be formatted. Tried it in my camera again and got the same error - unformatted card. Unable to access my photos. I still wanted to recover the photos so I did not format my card. Put it in another computer, same error, saying I should format it but at least it picked up the drive, so I clicked cancel, left it in there and downloaded recovery software for $20. This worked, I found my photos and saved them, now I can probably try and reformat my card but I don’t trust it anymore. Thanks SanDisk. I don’t suppose you will reimburse me for my card and the $20 I spent on recovery software?

I just experienced this failure and wanted to share how I managed to rescue my CF card. This is kind of lengthy, but sometimes details are necessary!

1. I downloaded the SanDisk RescuePRO DELUXE trial program: http://www.lc-tech.com/pc/sandisk-rescuepro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/

It will let you save 25 photos - there’s also a PRO DELUXE Professional version available to trial. It may possibly let you recover more. But I’m just guessing.

2, After downloading and running, it found over a thousand photos on my little 2Gig card - photos from several years ago, even though I routinely deleted pictures after each download. Most pictures were screwed up - looking at the thumbnails, there were two, sometimes three copies of each photo. The first being a full sized photo, or would have been if it wasn’t half green or half missing, a small thumbnail sized photo, and sometimes two thumbnail sized. Very few were usable and I chose not to save any of them.

I tried to simply delete them from my card, but they wouldn’t delete.

SO…

1. Next I left the card in my card reader and opened my System Mechanic Pro and chose to scrub the drive - my CF card being in E Drive. It took about 20 minutes, but it came out clean. I think most maintenance/performance programs have a drive scrubber. It’s worth a try.

2. Put the card back into the camera - Canon EOS Rebel XT - went to MENU and selected Format. It quickly formatted, I tested the camera by taking a few shots, downloaded them, and ta-da! everything is fine and dandy.

I hope this helps!

Mrs Berry

There are some other proficient and more advance application also available for photo Recovery. You can check out such a tool from here … 

http://www.amrevsoftware.com/photo-recovery

I came here yesterday with TWO bad 32GB cards.
to wit:
After several hours of painstaking trial and error e.g.: changing settings in my computer bios, three different card readers at different USB speeds, thread after thread of forums, and continually trying to do the same—> format in fat32, sometimes with Fat32 not even showing up in the choices, my Windows Disk Management open and looking for the card to even show up as a disk when I plugged it in AGAIN.

I solved the problem, for BOTH of the cards.  I took a can of compressed air ‘Blow Off Duster’ and aimed it into the little tiny holes on the card, that slide into the reader. Done, did it. Recognized it, files in folders complete, I don’t know if they will take/hold 29GB of new photos yet, but my faith says I will try it.  (Now where did I put that old 16GB card that failed me? )
sigh.  k.i.s.s.

I was having the same problem and afeared that my pictures of the Taj Mahal were toast.  I tried the canned air trick and the card reader picked up the pictures immediately.

Hi,

I’ve got a problem with my Extreme 60mb/s CF 32GB not being recognised by any PC or mac I’ve tried. I used it in a XF305 a couple of days ago, I checked the footage in camera just after I shot it and it played back ok. Since then I’ve taken the card out of the camera and it isn’t recognised in my PC or mac (I’ve tried using a USB 2 & 3 card reader)… or infact in the XF305 it was used in.

I’ve used this set up numerous times before and not had a problem, until now.

Any help would be grately appreciated!

J

***I managed a fix for my Sandisk Extreme 60/Mb 32GB, perhaps it will be helpful.

My Issue:

I had just backed up media from several identical cards, using a Kingston USB 3.0 reader and OSX Yosemite.  After backing up the media from the last card, I dumped the media and cleared the Trash Can, But the card just kept blinking.  I attemped to Eject the card, but it did not respond and just kept blinking in the reader.  After several minutes, I just removed the card and and the blinking stopped.  However, when I reinserted the card into the reader, it did not recognize it. Llike nothing was there, it just blinked.  I placed in a Canon DSLR and recived the error, “Cannot read card. Remove or reformat card.” (or something like that).  Placing the card back in the reader, it just continued to blink and not mount.  Disk Utility did not recognize the card, either. So…

My solution: (could be any combination or just dumb luck, likely the latter)

I removed the card and blew the card out, as well as the reader.  Noting no obstruction in the card holes, and no bent pins in the reader (which worked with every other card), I reinserted the card into the reader.  It began blinking and kept blinking.  I opended Disk Utility and confirmed that the card was not being rcognized (nothing showed up).  Leaving the card in and DIsk Utility open, I opened a Safari window and began looking for solutions.  After several minutes (20-30min), I notice Disk Utility prompt me with an error, stating that the volume was not readable, BUT IT DID SHOW THE CARD IT SELF IN DISK UTILITY, though it was not Mounted and not on the desktop.  Disk Utility gave me three options:  INITIALIZE, CLOSE?, IGNORE? ( I really cant’ confirm the latter two).  I chose INITIALIZE, the first option, and it allowed me to ERASE the disk and reformat.  I chose to reformat the card in  “MS-DOS (FAT)”.  After reformatting, the card mounted and showed on my desktop. The card also showed in my Camera, where I reformatted it again.

Conclusion:

For now, it seems to be working fine.  I have the card labled, so I will report back here if there is any further issue.  Hope this helps.