16gb micro SD card, "Error Copying File or Folder"

Lately, I got myself a 16GB micro SD card for my clip+ and for general data transport, but it seems that I can copy nearly nothing to it

I put the card into an adapter and stuck that in the SD card slot of my computer, then tried to copy a 5,56GB music folder. All I got was an error window with the title “Error Copying File or Folder” and the description “Cannot copy file:[blank]”.

I already formatted the card and I also tried splitting the folders into several separate subfolders and copying the files to the card in small portions, but that just gave me the exact same error message about halfway through the copies.

I also had this problem with my earlier 8GB micro SD card in the clip+'s card slot, but I didn’t have it with the clip+'s onboard memory. What gives?

Seriously, no ideas? Anybody? What’s the point of a 16GB card if it can’t be filled.

Few questions

1. Did you purchase the card from eBay?

2. What is the reported capacity of the card on the computer?

3. Is the card recognized on your Sansa (Settings > System Settings > Info)

4. Have tried using the Sansa as a means of reader?

1.No

2.14.9 GB

3.Yes

4.Just tried it, it gives a “The copy operation has failed. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected” error. It’s the same error I started getting with the 8GB card plugged into the clip+ after a while. I have no idea what could have started it.

How did you format the card? And to what file system setting, FAT, FAT32, NTFS? A 16GB card should be formatted to FAT32.

Do you have 1 exceptionally large file that could be causing it to choke when it encounters that file? FAT32 does have a file size limitation of 4GB.

What type of files are you trying to copy?

FAT32 actually supports a single file size of 4GB. 

Oops! Thanks for catching that typo Doc. :wink:

I formatted it by right clicking on its icon in Windows and selecting “Format”.

It is formatted to FAT32.

The files are FLAC audio files in the 35MB range, so it can’t be that.

Ok,I’ll be doing this.I’ll just update you guys if im successful! Hoping! :womanvery-happy: 

My guess it’s gone! Probably bad sectors.

My 16GB Sandisk SDHC has been replaced 3 times over the past 1 1/2 years. Every time the sector fails, Sandisk only offers a replacement.  But by then the damage is done and who wants to use an unreliable card for your priceless photos or important document?

My trust in this product/brand has deterioated enough so say that I’d NEVER buy another SANDISK product. Their support is unhelpful and provide no suggestions on how to remedy the problem or give alternatives what so ever.

Sorry

Windows Explorer/FAR would fail to copy/delete/rename any pathname longer than 256 characters( PATH TOO LONG error ). Our program LONG PATH Tool can handle pathnames of any length, up to the internal Windows limit of 32,000 characters.

Long Path Tool is very useful if you are having problems in deleting, unlocking, copying and even renaming files that are considered filename too long by your system. Yes, these problems can occur even while using the latest Windows Explorer or FAR in managing your files. This tool can help you simplify files names that are categorized as filename too long by your system.

Long Path Tool Download Long Path Tool

Not only is this spam, but the site is loaded with an Exploit Atttack virus according to my A/V software!!! :angry:

Do you have error messages?, like :

• Path too long
  • Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk
  • Cannot delete file: Access is denied
  • There has been a sharing violation.
  • Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.
  • The source or destination file may be in use.
  • The file is in use by another program or user.
  • Error Deleting File or Folder
  • Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
  • Error Copying File or Folder.
  • Cannot remove folder.
  • The filename or extension is too long.
  • Path too deep.
  • Destination Path Too Long.
  • Could not find this item.
  • Filename is not valid.
  • The file could not be accessed.
  • The path you entered, is too long. Enter a shorter path.
  • File Name could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename, and verify that the file location is correct.

Download LONG PATH Tool 3.6 at http://longpathtool.com/

You can try long path tool.Download it from  longpathtool.com/ .

http://longpathtool.com

Hi Guys, just to update you, finally I found a way to solve it          
Do you have error messages?, like :          

* Path too long          
* Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk          
* Cannot delete file: Access is denied          
* There has been a sharing violation.          
* Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.

For that I tried it with:LONGPATH DOT COM          

Spam.

No it’s true , that tool is really really good . Works for what that guy said and alot more errors which he didn’t stated because he was probably scared you were going to say spam spam spam :)))) but it actually works . Go to this and you’re going to see for yourselves.

http://longpathtool.com/