Re: Write Protected?

I am having the same problem with the write protect issue.  I have a 2GB Micro SD that I am trying to use with my enV2 phone.  I was able to move some songs on it when it was new but when I went to add more I get the Write Protect issue.  There is no lock on the adapter so I don't know about that.  I also searched my phone manual and can't find anything that says how to unlock the wrote protect.  I have so much free space on this card and it's very frustrating.

how to fix write protected

I had alot of problems trying to access my sd card. I have a samsung phone and I use this to copy music and pix.

my computer kept on saying it was write protected even though it was not. The switch was unlocked and I tried the tape thing...so frustrating!

Then all of a sudden I unplugged the adapter uptaped it and replugged it back in, , then my computer by itself started to install a hardware driver or something. I tried to find what the heck it installed but I can't find it.

My computer just installed it by itself and it went quick. It was a four letter update something like "dtmf" of "dmff". I hope this helps someone.

Re: how to fix write protected

Well, I finally took the card back to the store.  It was defective!  There was no "switch" on the adapter.  I got a new one and low & behold there was a switch on the new one.  I showed the woman and she agreed it was a defect.

The culprit appears to be that the write protect tab snags against the inside of the slot and slides into the write protect position, when it is inserted into the slot.

I caught mine in the position, after I inserted it in the unprotected position. Since the force necessary to insert the memory card is in the direction that sets it to protect, it is entirely likely that this is the cause for most of the problems. Perhaps the protect mechanism should be modified, and positioned somewhere else on the adapter?

@wdpatterson08 wrote:

The culprit appears to be that the write protect tab snags against the inside of the slot and slides into the write protect position, when it is inserted into the slot.

I caught mine in the position, after I inserted it in the unprotected position. Since the force necessary to insert the memory card is in the direction that sets it to protect, it is entirely likely that this is the cause for most of the problems. Perhaps the protect mechanism should be modified, and positioned somewhere else on the adapter?

Unfortunately, that can not be done.  The write protect switch on the side of the card is not really a switch, it is just a tab that pushes the real switch that is located in the card reader.  This concept is like the old audio cassette tapes and VCR tapes where you break off a tab to write protect it, if any one remembers those.  

If the tab on the adapter is too loose, when inserting it will be pushed down into the locked position by the arm of the switch inside the reader, and then, now being in the locked position, the tab pushes the arm and closes a circuit, and tells the reader the card is locked.

All you can do is exchange the card out if it is the adapter that is bad. 

I got mine working just now. Try reformatting it in the device you are using it in like a camera.

If that doesn't work I put the little switch in the middle position (more twards the unlock position).

Now it works.. Or you could try a piece of tape but I don't think there is a need for that. Play with the lock switch position.

Good luck!

@speedster wrote:

Or you could try a piece of tape but I don't think there is a need for that. Play with the lock switch position.

Good luck!

Tape does work, and I have used it, but be very careful, I have also had it come off inside the reader because I was not gentle!!  And in my case, no amount of tweezers could get the tape back out.

I have a 2GB MicroSD card that I use in my Samsung Alias phone. I don't know if it was writable via PC before I used it in the phone, but it certainly isn't now. The phone has no problems writing to the card, but as far as the PC is concerned, it appears to be permanently write-protected. I first looked for a lock/unlock tab on the MicroSD card itself, but found nothing (hopefully because there isn't any there!), then after heading here, dug up the SD adapter, which has a rubber slide, one end of which is marked "Lock". Initially, when I tried connecting with the adapter, with the slide at the extreme opposite position from Lock, Explorer stopped responding, as did the Storage Manager. After removing it, removing the MicroSD card, re-installing in the adapter, and then moving the switch to the Lock position, I was able to successfully get Windows to see it again (but of course, still write-protected). Removing the adapter from the card reader, I move the slide again to the end opposite Lock, and reinserted. Still write protected. Tried moving it fractionally between Lock and the other end, without any different result. This particular card reader isn't apparently having any troubles with the slide catching on insertion and moving, unless it's always able to slide back on removal to precisely the point I'd set it to beforehand (this seems unlikely).

I've tried reformatting using the phone, no dice. There's nothing in the Phone's documentation about locking or unlocking memory cards, either; in fact, all references to the memory card indicate that there should be no restrictions on writing to the card from the PC -- furthermore, for best performance playing back MP3's, the manual even recommends formatting the memory card eith FAT32 using the PC. About the only thing talked about here that I haven't tried yet is tape -- but as stated above, there is a  slide, it (and every other aspect of the adapter) gives every impression of being in good shape (slides smoothly, firm detents at either end position, all contacts visible are nice and clean, corrosion free, and there are just enough marks present to indicate that upon insertion we should be getting good connection.

I'm at my wit's end here, this is driving me crazy. I've now tried it moving the slide back and forth between the ends, incrementally, from one extreme to the other five or six times since finishing that last paragraph, without any result.

The previous post has described my experience EXACTLY.  I've tried tape, incremental adjustments on the lock tab, everything.  I bought the adapter card and 2x2gb microSD cards as a package...so obviously they are made to work together.

I hope that SandDisk is able to provide a solution to this problem, as this problem has essentially rendered the cards useless for transferring data between two or more devices.

Well, if you have tried what we have suggested here and it does not work, then contact SanDisk and get it replaced.

That is all you can do now.