Accepted Solution

Computer not reading 8GB card correctly

Hello,
I just purchased a new LG Venus phone and an 8GB SD card.  If I check the card capacity on the phone, it shows 7.6GB.  When I started uploading my music, I finally got a message that said device full.  I checked memory on the phone again and it shows 3.6GB used and 4GB remaining.  When I look at it under Windows Explorer however, I see that it is just reading the card as a 4GB card.  I tried reformating it with the "format" function on the phone and it cleared the card of all my music and shows 7.6GB free space again.  Windows still shows it as a 4 GB card however. 

Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

Thanks

Re: Computer not reading 8GB card correctly

what kind of card reader are you using. some older readers have issues with high capacity cards. can you connect your phone to the computer and use it as a card reader? if so try that and see if the card show as the right capacity.

Thanks, but it appears to be the phone, not the reader.  If I remove the card from the phone and read it with a reader, it shows to be a 8GB card.  If I use the USB cable that came with the phone and then the "sync music" function, the computer just sees the "Music" folder on the card and shows the capacity to be 3.6GB.

I can remove the card and put it back in the card reader and it shows the full capacity.  I can transfer my music to use the entire capacity but then when I put the card back into the phone, it will not work. 

Appears that LG and/or Verizon has only made it possible to use 1/2 the capacity for music and the other half for other data.  Very poor I think.

i would try contacting LG to see if they have a firmware update that will resolve the issue.

To Freebird
Just a bit of info since I was having the same problem.  I have the Voyager (sweet phone) and I discovered if you go to Settings and Tools, Tools and then USB Mass Storage you will see that on the VCast or Windows Media Player (I perfer WMP) the full 8 gigs.  Hope this helps.  I have the opposite problem the 8gb micro card is not recognizable from my computer card slot

Mugshots wrote:
 I have the opposite problem the 8gb micro card is not recognizable from my computer card slot

your card reader will have to be compatible with SDHC cards. if the card slot on the computer only reads SD cards (which is most likely the case) SDHC cards will not work.

SAME EXACT PROBLEM.

Card shows at 8 GB when reading it through MY COMPUTER...shows at 8GB when read thru my Voyager.  This is on my Windows XP service-pac 2  Compaq laptop.  On my Vista-based Dell, it reads (in the SD card adapter in the comp) at 8 GB.  BOO.  The BIG PROBLEM....my compaq is where all my music is stored!!  And I can't transfer to my dell, because, at 70 GB HD, I only have 14 GB left.  P.S....why is that?  I have NOTHING on my dell, other than some games....Is it Vista?

Anyways...anyone have any suggestions?  I'm considering going from my iPhone to The Voyager, but the Voyager is turning out to be a major pain in the arse!  Makes you appreciate how easy to use Apple is.

Kurt
Highlighted

After jumping through hoops trying to get through to Verizon about this issue only to have them basically tell me that I don't know what I'm doing and then jumping through hoops with LG trying to get THEM to understand the problem.  I finally got them to understand, test and verify this issue.  Here is the last response that I received from LG.

"There is currently a known issue with the 8gb memory in the LG Venus, as well as the Voyager, when downloading music the phone will only recognize half of the memory card size, we are currently working hard to resolve this issue, please be patient with us.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-793-8896 at your convenience.

Electronic Correspondence Executive (ECE)
LG Electronics USA
800-793-8896"

I sent this to Verizon and STILL couldn't get a straight answer from them or an admission that there is a problem.  I finally got hold of somebody higher up at Verizon Wireless and got a phone call back.  They finally admit that there is a problem and that they are working on it.