Accepted Solution

16gb Micro SDHC will only format to 976mb! HELP!!

Hi, after reading through hundreds of threads with similar issues I cannot believe this is this difficult.

I have a sandisk 16gb micro SDHC card, put it into my LGENV3 pnone which is compatible up to 32GB SDHC, I had trouble copying files so I figured I would reformat the card and start over.  BIG MISTAKE after formatting to FAT32 again it only shows 976mb of storage!  Yikes!  I have tried formatting it with XP, Panasonic, through my phone as a USB and HP software it still only reads 976mb. My card reader is definately SDHC compatible and I bought another one today and it is the same deal.  I also did a hotfix from microsoft, it said I did not need to perform the update as my files were newer than the patch.

Does anyone out there know how to reformat this card back to 16GB?  Im guessing it will take a miracle DOS cmd or something.

Any help is appreciated and also no the card is not locked. - Thanks

Re: 16gb Micro SDHC will only format to 976mb! HELP!!

Exactly the SAME problem!

I registered the 16gb Class 2 Sandisc MicroSD card on this site, and it is legit, as I was able to register it.

Initially it read 16gb, but it will not copy more than 980mb of data onto it...

Just like geolori did, I formatted it, while plugging it into my Sandisc MicroMate white SDHC card reader, and now it is coming back 976mb! I tried it on my laptop with windows xp, and two desktops with windows Vista, and formatted it with both Fat32 and NTFS, and all it will show is 976mb. 

Just like geolori did, the hotfitx was not needed, as windows xp and Vista both said it is not needed. 

Thanks!!! 

if the card is authentic formatting with the HP disk storage format tool should fix the card. if you are still only getting 976MB the card may be a fake. registration does not actually authenticate the card. where were these cards purchased? if ebay or some similar site you should probably contact sandisk support to verify authenticity 866-sandisk

The card was reading 16gb prior to reformatting.  Based on the number of people with the same problem all over the internet.  It seems sandisk has serious problem with these SDHC cards being reformatted in SDHC compliant readers.

of course it will read correctly at first this is common with fake cards. where did you purchase the card? if ebay or somewhere similar it is probably a counterfeit. with the multiple millions of these cards sold you will be able to find what may seem to be a large number of people with similar issues however if you look at the actual percentage of issues to cards shipped it really is pretty small.

you have to take into consideration that finding search results during an internet search is no indication whether there is a wide spread issue. for example google "moon landing fake" and you will see there is over 3 million hits, this does not mean the the moon landing was a hoax.  

Message Edited by drlucky on 01-06-2010 05:00 PM

actually I just read some articles on fake cards.  This is most likely the issue.  The fact it initially read 16gb and I moved a large number of photos threw me off until I read the article after you suggested it is fake.  It probably bombed at the 1gb mark as it was full.  It appears they flash it so the computer will read it initially as 16gb but it really can only hold 1.

I incorrectly assumed it was not fake since I saw the 16gb of space initially.  Thats a good trick they got there.

The sandisk help said it was a bad card also and to get my money back from ebay which I am already in the process of doing but I keep getting the run around.

morale of the story dont buy cards off of ebay.  Listen to Sandisk.

PS kind of glad it is not a sandisk problem.  Have been using them for years and was hoping they werent starting to sell bad product.  I believe they have a spot on their website to report counterfeit cards.

EBAY and CHINA......not the best idea I have had.  My frugalness finally came back to bite me.  Saved 15 bucks cost myself hours in front of the computer. 

@drlucky wrote:

of course it will read correctly at first this is common with fake cards. where did you purchase the card? if ebay or somewhere similar it is probably a counterfeit. with the multiple millions of these cards sold you will be able to find what may seem to be a large number of people with similar issues however if you look at the actual percentage of issues to cards shipped it really is pretty small.

you have to take into consideration that finding search results during an internet search is no indication whether there is a wide spread issue. for example google "moon landing fake" and you will see there is over 3 million hits, this does not mean the the moon landing was a hoax.  

Message Edited by drlucky on 01-06-2010 05:00 PM

Highlighted

I think the same thing happened to me, too.  I just bought a card from ebay, and the seller was from China.  The card showed up as having 16GB on the disk management tool.  But, when I formatted it from there, it changed to 961MB.  Now, I can't get anywhere to show up as 16GB.. not even DOS's chkdisk.  I however bought another card for my brother from the seller, which he hasn't formmated yet, and it still shows up as having a 16GB capacity.  Is there a way for him to test the card?  Should he just copy a large chunk of data (over 1GB) to the card and sees what happens?

@jedah wrote:

Should he just copy a large chunk of data (over 1GB) to the card and sees what happens?

yes, try filling the card to the full capacity. it will likely fail and corrupt the data.  

16gb adata sdhc format problem shows up as 200mb when formatted

So, I came to this forum wondering if maybe my sdhc card had just bit the dust, and I saw someone mention the HP format utility for usb.  Funnily enough, it was on my desktop as I use it every now and then for work, and voila, 16gb available again.  I had to remember that fat32 drive names had I think 8-12 character limit or the format would fail (quick format is fine).

I used a cheap $1 sdhc reader from china and it must have burnt out or the internal board must have bent from being used, shorted from pulling from a running usb port, who knows, it was $1.  Anyway, sometimes I found that putting the sdhc into my canon vixia hf100 camcorder formatted it just fine.  This time, though, since the camcorder couldn't format it, I thought it was physically toast.

Surely enough, it was just the lower part of the formatting that was jacked up from whatever.  The proper tool being the HP format utility, and I was back in business, the header to the drive volume, some extra bits, the volume size or description, I am not totally sure, but it worked!