Highlighted
Accepted Solution

128mb microSD not recognized by computer

A little background first...

I use this 128mb microSD card as an additional storage device for my mobile phone. I usually access this card by hooking up my phone to my computer via USB cable and then putting the phone into Data transfer mode. Sometimes, I take the card out of the phone and use an adapter to access my files.

This afternoon, I took it out of my phone and used an adapter to transfer files to my computer. It was taking longer than usual for the card to be recognized and displayed on My Computer. So I went to Device Manager and clicked on "Properties" of Secure Digital Storage Device. And this is came up:

Device Status:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Did my card get corrupted? Do I need to download and install a driver? Do I need to reformat it? If so, how do I recover and backup my files first?

Please help. :smileysad:

Re: 128mb microSD not recognized by computer

first there are not any drivers for a memory card. drivers are used by the card reader not the card.

what OS are you using?

what kind of card reader are you using?

can you connect the phone to the computer and access the card?

I'm using Windows XP SP2, a microSD-to-SD adapter, and the SD card slot at the side of my Dell laptop. I've just tried connecting my phone [with the card in it] to my laptop to access the card, but no go.

I'm now thinking of getting that RescuePro file recovery software, but I want to exhaust all other options before spending any more money.

if the card worked in both the reader and the phone previously but now does not work in either it is probably a bad card and will need to be replaced. Unfortunately if the computer will not recognize the card data recovery software will be of no use since the computer does not have access to the device.

dang, there goes my phonebook. at least I've been making backups, but now I've lost a week's worth of updates. oh well.

anyway, thanks so much for the help. i'll be ordering a new one tomorrow, probably a 1GB card for more memory. and i'll be making more frequent backups, like every day I change something. thanks again. :smileyhappy: