2GB SD card will only load 300mb or so...

I just bought the new MobileMate to use with a new Sandisk 2GB SD card.  I am trying to copy pictures from my desktop to the card.  It gets to about 300 MB worth of pics or so and won't let me copy any more than that.  Windows recognizes that there are 1.89GB worth of memory on the card. 

I simply inserted the SD disk into the mobilemate and then plugged it into my pc.  It loaded and was correctly recognized as working.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  The only thing I noticed was that the SD card has a FAT file system and I can format it in FAT32.  I haven't done anything like that to it, mainly because I don't know if that is something that needs to be done.

The error message I get when trying to copy pictures to the SD card is as follows:

"Cannot copy IMG_0059: The directory or file cannot be created."  The IMG_0059 is just the name associated with one of the pictures.

Re: 2GB SD card will only load 300mb or so...

FAT has a limit of the number of files that can be copied to the root directory. either create subdirectories or reformat the card into FAT32 to resolve this issue.

Formatted to FAT32 and everything is fine!  Thanks!      
Highlighted

drlucky, the question asked on this thread is exactly the problem I am having.  I am using a 1gb or 2gb SanDisk multi-use sd card for a Kodak digital picture frame.  Kodak said my model would accept up to 16 gb.  My card shows it as being formatted at FAT32 but still doesn't work.  I get same error message as above.  How do you create subdirectories?  Thanks.

Also when I put the card in the digital frame it erases all the information, looks like Greek letters, and no pics will display on the frame.  When card is replaced in the drive on PC it is all strange letters.

Message Edited by basicblaque on 11-16-2008 01:24 PM

@basicblaque wrote:

Also when I put the card in the digital frame it erases all the information, looks like Greek letters, and no pics will display on the frame.  When card is replaced in the drive on PC it is all strange letters.

Message Edited by basicblaque on 11-16-2008 01:24 PM

A new directory is the same as a new folder on the card.  But, regardless, there is no way you have been able to fit 65,000 items in one directory on such a low capacity card, which is what FAT32 would have allowed.  Sorry to say, this sounds like the card has either gone bad, or is a fake card.  I would contact SanDisk to check for authenticity, and then if you bought it in the last 5 years, to have them replace it.

Thanks.  I'll check with SanDisk.  The 1 gb card is about a year old and the 2gb card was purchased yesterday.

I called tech support.  They walked me through the format process.  Copying hung up with about two minutes left and program would not stop running.  Now my H Drive is non-existent.