256MB SanDisk SD card problem

I've been using a 256MB SD card for a couple of years with no problem with a Gateway DC-M42 camera, but now my computer (Dell Inspiron 6000) suddenly won't read my card, directly through the SD card port or through USB cable from camera.  But I can access the card with the camera without problem.  There are pictures and couple of fairly short videos on it.  Computer says "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".  I've also tried another computer with same error.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   

Re: 256MB SanDisk SD card problem

Are you sure the camera is reading those files of of the card and not on the internal memory of the camera? Take the card out and verify the pictures on the camera. It sounds like the card might be toast at this point.

The camera is definitely reading the SanDisc.
Message Edited by bfarmer8659 on 03-18-2008 09:19 PM

Try using a different computer. It's possible that the USB bus on your computer somehow got fried which would explain why the USB cable and the card reader which connects via the USB bus would not work. Do any other USB devices work on your computer?

No problems with other usb devices connected to my computer and, as I said in my original post, I tried accessing the SanDisk with a different computer but had same result.   

Try formatting the card through the camera and then try it accessing it on your computer. First try to copy the files from the memory card to the internal memory on the camera if your camera can do this. Can you copy pictures from the internal memory on your camera if the card is not inserted into your camera? If so you can get the pictures off of your memory card and onto your computer so they are not lost.

I had already thought of that but, unfortunately, my camera will only copy from internal memory to the card--not vice versa.  I am going to try to locate one that does, but I'm really beginning to think that, if there is a solution to this, it's going to be something a lot more technically complex than I'm likely to come across easily.  [Just to clarify:  it's the pictures and video on the card that I'm interested in.  If I could find a way to get them off, the card itself is expendable.]  Thanks for any responses...      

I'd suggest contacting SanDisk Tech Support--they should be able to direct you on recovering your files...

@bfarmer8659 wrote:
I had already thought of that but, unfortunately, my camera will only copy from internal memory to the card--not vice versa.  I am going to try to locate one that does, but I'm really beginning to think that, if there is a solution to this, it's going to be something a lot more technically complex than I'm likely to come across easily.  [Just to clarify:  it's the pictures and video on the card that I'm interested in.  If I could find a way to get them off, the card itself is expendable.]  Thanks for any responses...      

Try contacting LC-Technologies they have a program called rescue pro that will let you see if you can recover any of the pictures or videos before you commit to the software. Good luck with the data recovery.