Re: Where are the drivers

I figured it out! I kept playing with drivers and I found one that worked. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

which driver worked for you. it would be good to post in case others have the same issue.

Unfortunately I know just enough to be dangerous. I believe it is amongst these:

1394bus.sys

arp1394.sys

enum1394.sys

nic1394.sys

ohci1394.sys

Highlighted

I was having a similar problem as shamguess, which brought me to this thread. It ended without an easy to follow solution. After screwing around for about an hour I accidentally came up with one. Too simple, but it worked for me so I'll pass it on and maybe someone can benefit from my time.

I plugged my new Extreme Firewire Reader into my desktop computer (Asus MB with AMD duel core and built in firewire, no extra card), trying both the back and front ports on the computer and nothing happened. I even checked the reader's box for installation instructions and found none. I installed the program on the recovery CD and still nothing. When I say nothing I'm meaning the "found new hardware" window didn't pop up and I wasn't seeing a new drive letter in My Computer. Next I stuck in a CF card in the slot and the blue light turned on - PROGRESS; or so I thought. Still nothing under my computer. I came here and read this thread which kind of pointed me in the right direction.

This is what I did, maybe it will work for you too.

Right click My Computer on your desktop

Choose Device Manager

Click the + in front of IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers

On mine I now see Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEE 1394 Host Controller; that is one of the five items the OP listed as drivers; I think this is really a device that has drivers to make it work but I could be wrong.

I tried to update the driver with letting it search the internet, as suggested, but that did squat for me

Anyway, the fix: right click the Texas Instruments OHCi .... line and left click Disable; a warning comes up and you have to click Yes to proceed; that window will refresh and now there is a red X through the device's icon

Right click the Texas Instruments OHCI ... line again but this time left click Enable; the hourglass will appear and the window refreshes and the red X goes away

Now when I plug a CF card in the reader, within a couple seconds I get a new drive letter in my computer and mine says (M:smileyhappy: NIKON D300

Life is good, once again. :smileyhappy:

I find it quite odd that in spite of the deluxe retail packageing the reader comes in (and hefty price tag, before rebate - it is coming, isn't it? LOL), I couldn't find a hint of instructions; I got info on the warrenty in several languages, a little license agreement, and a full color sales brocure but not even a simple "stick this wire here, insert CF card here and the blue light should turn on."

Hope this helps someone.

Dirk

PS their spell checker doesn't recognize firewire or CF card; pretty funny

dirks wrote:

I find it quite odd that in spite of the deluxe retail packageing the reader comes in (and hefty price tag, before rebate - it is coming, isn't it? LOL), I couldn't find a hint of instructions; I got info on the warrenty in several languages, a little license agreement, and a full color sales brocure but not even a simple "stick this wire here, insert CF card here and the blue light should turn on."

It is a card reader, what instructions do you want?  Obviously you need to plug it into the computer, and obviously you need to insert your card. 

As for your computer not recognizing it the first time it is plugged in... this is a known issue with WinXP.  It is a Microsoft issue, not anything with the reader.  They fixed it in Vista.  Regardless, you need to plug the reader in with a card, wait a minute or two, then unplug and plug it back in.  You only have to do this the first time, after WinXP recognizes it properly, it will continue to do so the next time you plug it in.  Works all the time. 

I got mine to go and I'm not complaining as I like to play with my computer.  But, did you notice that this thread alone got close to 2,000 views?  And there are similar threads with lots of views.  Maybe it's not so obvious to everyone how to get it to go the first time.  If my problem is a known issue (to some before, and me now) why not just stick in a simple instruction sheet?  If there are half a dozen know issues, just list 'em; if they covered  XP, VISTA and Mac, they'd have covered 99.9% of the consumers, for the rest they could give a link to this forum.  Heck, I'd even give up the full color brochure they enclose.  This is a retail product, most retail products include instructions.  I thought mine got left out but apparently nobody gets 'em.

I tried out the reader with Extreme 4 cards and it just screams compared to my USB reader.  Now, if the rebate every comes, I'm all set.:smileyhappy: 

dirks, I'd like to thank you VERY much.  I just recieved this device, plugged it in and nothing.  Exact same problem as listed above.  I have Windows Vista, so it's obviously NOT fixed in Vista.

I did as you mentioned, disabled, enabled, plugged it back in and it's working!

You saved me a major headache.  Thank you.

I'm running Window XPSP2. When I first got my Extreme USB2 my computer recognized it and launched Adobe Bridge to download my photos. I'm Happy. Then one day it stopped. I had to launch Bridge and use the drop down "Get photos from Camers" and go that route. I'm sad. One day I insert my CompactFlash Card and boom, the computer again recognizes the Reader, I'm happy again. Shortly after that it stopped seeing the Reader, again. Sad again. I tried unpluging from the USB port and pluging back in. You know how the computer "chimes" when it sees a new device, well I got a double "chime".

I want so very much to be happy again. Does anyone have an idea that will lead me back to happiness or should I seek Professional care, drugs, etc. ?