Accepted Solution

Where are the drivers

Just plugged in the Extreme Firewire Reader. When I put in an Extreme IV card, a blue light comes on (on the reader) and my computer brings up a "recognizing new hardware" screen and asks where it can find the driver for it. The only CD I received with the reader is for recovery. I even loaded that software in case the driver happened to be in there somewhere. What am I missing here?

Re: Where are the drivers

the drivers should be native to your OS. what OS are you using?

I am on Windows XP. I found another forum where lots of people are having problems with this and they suggested downloading a driver from Windows. Apparently SP 2 causes a problem with firewires. I downloaded that driver bit it still makes no difference. Instead of my computer seeing my reader as a new lettered directory, it sees it as a network connection (LAN). From what I understand, this should not be happening.
Highlighted

try using device manager to update the driver. let it search the internet for the driver maybe it will find the correct driver.

Thanks for trying to help me. It is appreciated. My firewire card came with a driver than I installed. I then had XP search for newer drivers and it said that I had the latest driver installed. The firewire card seems to be OK. Device manager recognizes it, etc. When I plug in the Sandisk reader, nothing happens nor would I expect anything to. As soon as I stick a CF card in it, my computer recognizes that I have installed new hardware and asks where it can find the driver. I don't believe that the card reader comes with a driver.

My computer recognizes the card reader as a local area network connection. Is that what it's supposed to do? I thought it would just treat it like a new "lettered" drive.

it should show up as a drive letter not a network device. you will not see a drive letter untill a card is inserted into the reader.

when you put the card in the reader and it asks for a driver let it search the internet.

also is your firewire card 4, 6, or 9 pin?

Isn't this fun? I tried letting it search the internet and it did not find a driver. My firewire card has two 9 pin plugs and one 6 pin. I have tried the 9 pin in both slots and even tried reversing the cable direction. I have also tried the 6 pin (firewire 400). Both the 400 and 800 show up at the bottom right hand corner of my monior with the dreaded yellow exclaimation (!) warning. It says something like (from memory):

"local area connection"
"speed 800 mps"
"status: no connection"

As stated before, I do not get a drive letter when I insert a card although the blue light does come on.

Thanks

if you go to device manager and select "install driver from a spicific location" and then choose "don't search i will choose the driver to install" what driver options are listed? 

dr, I will have to try that when I get home tonight. I am not at that computer right now.
Thanks.

These are the drivers that it lists:

OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller
Texas Instrumants OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IEEE 1394b adapter
Unibrain driver / OHCI Compatible Board
Unibrain driver / s800 OHCI Compatible Board