Extreme USB 2.0 Reader -- not working in Windows 7 Pro

I bought an Extreme USB 2.0 Compact Flash card reader to use with an Asus Eee PC 1005PE Netbook, running Windows 7 Professional (32 bit).  When I plugged it in for the first time, it recognized the device, and was installing drivers.

In the Device Manager, I see the unit listed both under Disk Drives (as SanDisk CF Extreme USB2 USB Device) and under Universal Serial Bus controllers (as USB Mass Storage Device).

However, I can't see the device showing up as a drive (with or without a card in it) in My Computer, and it is not seen in Adobe LightRoom 2.6, either.  It *is* seen in LC Technologies PhotoRecovery 2010, but it does not recognize when a CF card is inserted into it (The CF card is good, and it is recognized by the camera and in other media readers.)

When I plug the Extreme into my primary desktop (Dell Dimension XPS 630i running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit), it is seen in Device Manager and in My Computer, however, it does NOT register a CF card inserted into it.  (The CF card tested was a SanDisk Extreme III 8GB card.)

Are there known issues with this reader?  Any suggestions to get it to be recognised?  Do I have a bum device?  I bought it off Amazon.com from a third-party seller listing it in Like New condition, claiming it was from an open box, but unused.