Accepted Solution

Extreme IV Firewire Reader Compatibility with Sony Laptop 4 Pin 1394 Connection?

Just tried installing Firewire reader to my Sony laptop's i.LINK socket with no luck.  i.LINK is Sony's name for their 1394 connection, same as Firewire is Apple's.  Socket is 1394 compliant 400 mbs 4 pin.  Using 4 pin to 6 pin adapter & the supplied 1394a 6 pin cable.  Reader doesn't register on Device Manager.  Inserted Ducati Edition 8Gb card.  No blue LED or any message of new hardware & no new drive letter showing in Windows Explorer.  Changed cards to Extreme IV 4GB.  Nothing.  Tried updating 1394 bus drivers.  Nothing.  Rebooted.  Nothing.  Changed cards again.  Nothing.

Is anyone aware of a compatibility issue or anything that might help?

Thanks

bj

Re: Extreme IV Firewire Reader Compatibility with Sony Laptop 4 Pin 1394 Connection?

If you can not use one of the two cables that comes with the reader (a 6 pin and a 9 pin) as they are, without an adapter, you can not use the reader.  A 4 pin plug does not provide power, that is what the extra 2 pins are in a 6 pin port.  The SanDisk reader requires bus power, it does not have a power adapter.

Of course, having six pins do not guarantee power either, it is possible to have a Power Class 0 6 pin port.

Re: Extreme IV Firewire Reader Compatibility with Sony Laptop 4 Pin 1394 Connection?

Thanks.  After I posted my question I cruised through the fine print in the online manual for my laptop & discovered the same thing - 4 pin sockets are unpowered.  Off to the store to exchange my reader for a USB2.  It would have saved some time & anguish if there was a notice on the box saying it won't work with 4 pin 1394 connections.

Cheers

bj

I'd have to agree with this.

I purchased this reader for one purpose: rapid download of photographs during wedding receptions. My laptop only has the 4-pin connector, so I'm screwed.

:smileysad:

Highlighted