Accepted Solution

Extreme IV Firewire CF Card Reader......

i have an extreme IV Firewire CF Card Reader....... and im using Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2........ it doesnt work in this two platform..... can any one help me fix this problem...... already tried updating and upgrading the drivers but still doesnt work with my laptop and desktop.......

Re: Extreme IV Firewire CF Card Reader......

which cable are you using 6 or 9 pin? did the reader ever work? how does the device show in disk managment and device manager?
Highlighted

good day drlucky..... already have tried both the 6 and the 9 pins...... still nothing happend..... as if its not detecting anything...... but when i tried using it with my friends macbook pro it functioning properly....... what should i do? i'm only using laptop and desktop...... other thing in the instruction manual it says plug n play..... but it doesnt work.......

do any other firewire devices work on these computers? do you see any errors in device manager when the reader is connected?

The reader is FireWire 800, if your computer only has FireWire 400 it won't work.  If you can have someone with a new Mac plug it into their FireWire 800 port it should work.  FireWire 800 is backward compatable with FireWire 400 devices that are pluged into Computers that have FireWire 800 ports, much like USB-1.1 devices will work when pluged into USB-2 or USB-3 ports but not the other way around. 

DanJohnson wrote:
The reader is FireWire 800, if your computer only has FireWire 400 it won't work.  If you can have someone with a new Mac plug it into their FireWire 800 port it should work.  FireWire 800 is backward compatable with FireWire 400 devices that are pluged into Computers that have FireWire 800 ports, much like USB-1.1 devices will work when pluged into USB-2 or USB-3 ports but not the other way around. 

this is not true. the reader will work with firewire 400 or 800. also there is usb-3. there is only usb 1.1 and usb 2.0.