Vendor-specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute (status) warning

I just purchased the 1TB version of this drive today. I decided I would check it to make sure it isn’t faulty with the DriveDx software on my Mac. This software inspects various drive S.M.A.R.T. attributes to make sure the drive is operating as it should.

I immediately formatted the drive with Apple’s Disk Utility program as APFS encrypted with a GUID partition table. This operation succeeded.

I then proceeded to viewing the S.M.A.R.T. attributes on the drive. Everything is indicated as “Good/Ok” with the exception of one drive attribute which has a “Warning”. The warning is with #230 Vendor Specific attribute/status. (It’s raw value is: 0x500000005.) Current value is marked as “1” and the Worse is marked as “1”, whereas it’s threshold is “0”. The warning says"Head moving distances between operations".

I am confused by this S.M.A.R.T. warning and if it is something I should be concerned with. I have another SanDisk Extreme Portable Drive (500GB) which does not report this warning, so I’m a little confused if this is something I should be concerned with and if I should return the drive.

I know this is a pretty-specific question, so if anyone can shed some light on this, I’d greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

same issue here, SSDReporter give me something simular and so is DriveDX