extreme IV + Nikon D3

Hello: i have a nikon D3 and i changed my old Lexar CF card for an extreme IV 8GB - in the same settings as Dpreview's tests, i can go with about 16 pictures in burst mode, where they can reach 36 shots in a raw. i get approximately the same (16) with my old Lexar 80x card

can there be something wrong with the sandisk card ? is there a setting i'm missing on the D3, to specify UDMA mode for example ? i couldn't find anything on hte user's manual

if htere's something wrong with the card, how do i return it / have it changed ?

thanks

S.

PS: test is here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3/page13.asp

Re: extreme IV + Nikon D3

@sebnoel wrote:

Hello: i have a nikon D3 and i changed my old Lexar CF card for an extreme IV 8GB - in the same settings as Dpreview's tests, i can go with about 16 pictures in burst mode, where they can reach 36 shots in a raw. i get approximately the same (16) with my old Lexar 80x card

can there be something wrong with the sandisk card ? is there a setting i'm missing on the D3, to specify UDMA mode for example ? i couldn't find anything on hte user's manual

if htere's something wrong with the card, how do i return it / have it changed ?

thanks

S.

PS: test is here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD3/page13.asp

According to the link you listed they wereonly able to achieve 26 frames not 36 like you mentioned and that was in cropped mode. You'll see that the D3 is only capable of handling 17 frames using Full Frame. It's not an issue of the speed of the card it's an issue with the size of the D3's buffer. it doesn't have enough of a buffer to balance the time it takes to transfer the files to the card.

If you really want to compare look at the review of the D300
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300/page13.asp
The Extreme IV doesn't even let the buffer fill when shooting jpeg. When shooting RAW at 6fps you'll see that the ExtremeIV does double what the competition does.

Burst of RAW images (12-bit NEF, FX / Full Frame Mode)

Timing
Time, secs
(4GB SanDisk Extreme IV)
Time, secs
(4GB SanDisk Ducati)
Time, secs
(8 GB Lexar UDMA)
Frame rate 8.9 fps 8.9 fps

8.9 fps

Number of frames 17 17 17 Buffer full rate 2.1 fps 2.7 fps 2.2 fps Next burst 8.0 secs 6.0 secs 7.0 secs Burst of RAW images (12-bit NEF, DX / Crop Mode) Timing
Time, secs
(4GB SanDisk Extreme IV)
Time, secs
(4GB SanDisk Ducati)
Time, secs
(8 GB Lexar UDMA)
Frame rate 10.9 fps 11 fps

11 fps

Number of frames 26 29 26 Buffer full rate 3.3 fps 4.5 fps 2.4 Next burst 6.3 secs 4.2 secs

7.0 secs

OT:

i have the D80... i envy you :smileysad: 

Sorry i don't think i follow you - if i go to the dpreview test i read the following:

Cards:

4GB sandisk extreme IV

4GB sandisk ducati

8GB lexar UDMA

Frame rate
8.9 fps
9.1 fps
9.0 fps

Number of frames

Buffer full rate
4.4 fps
6.7 fps
4.5 fps

Next burst
14 secs
3.5 sec
5.9 sec

so they do get 36 frames in fine, large jpegs, in full frame mode (FX), not 26, not 17 - you can even listen to the burst on their sound recording

am i missing your point ?

thx for the reply

S.

I found the trick: I had D-lighting set to "on" - once this option checked off, i do get a burst of 36 frames, and many more in DX format :smileyhappy:

Dpreview should mention it in their tests - it has a huge impact

S.

Highlighted

@sebnoel wrote:

Sorry i don't think i follow you - if i go to the dpreview test i read the following:

am i missing your point ?

thx for the reply

S.

The readings above which didn't come out as good as they are on the site, (The tables were lost) It was referring to shooting in RAW mode not fine large jpegs. Your original post stated that you were using RAW as well. RAW files are much larger than regular JPEG's.