Lost photos - Nikon D-70 and 8 GB Card

I have a 8GB Extreme card for my Nikon D-70 which at one stage said the card was full (at about 2-3 GB). I took the card out and inserted it again, resulting in the camera start counting from photo number one (blocking access to the used part of the disk). I can see that the previous 4-500 photos are on the card as a large part of the memory is “blocked” but I cannot access this part of the disk. Can anybody recommend any recovery software or suggest a solution on how I can recover these photos?

Re: Lost photos - Nikon D-70 and 8 GB Card

you can use rescue pro which comes with the extreme line of products.

where did you buy the card?

The card was bought in the airport in Johannesburg.  No software followed the card but I believe it is authentic as the dealer is well known.  Can the software be downloaded?

Only a demo copy of RescuePro can be downloaded.  You should have gotten a CD with your memory card for RescuePro, if you did not, I would be suspicious of the cards authenticity.

Regardless, go to download.com and get a free recovery software.  I use PC Inspector File Recovery.  It is fast, free and easy to use.

Highlighted

Thanks for the assistance.  I will try the software and see if it works.  I have a suspicion that the Master Boot Record is disrupted.