Extreme IV VS III

Based on what I've seen so far with these questions, I should consult with my camera maker to see if the camera that currently uses the Extreme III cards correctly will indeed benefit from the Extreme IV?  If not, would a possible solution be a firmware upgrade from manufacturer?

Re: Extreme IV VS III

Your camera must support UDMA Mode 4 to get the speed out of the Extreme IV.  And, unless you have a Nikon D3 or D300, I am pretty sure you only have a camera that can use PIO modes, which means you are limited to Extreme III speeds.   I do not think this can be updated via firmware.

If you want a good website that talks about the speeds of different cameras, check this out:  Rob Galbraith

Re: Extreme IV VS III

The real benefit would come when it comes time to download and transfer those pictures from your card to your computer. If you have a card reader that is fast, like the extreme firewire reader then you can get 40MB/s transfers. So if your using a 8-10 Megapixel DSLR shooting in Raw, you will notice a huge difference, as in transfers that only take minutes to finish. As far as in the camera use, you won't see much until the camera's hardware catches up to the current speeds of the flash cards.