Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Wierd Extreme III 2Gb card

Hi I hope someone can explain this. I have recently purchased an Extreme III card of 2gb capacity. I use it in my camera  ( panasonic FZ30 ) with no problem It shows the correct capacity in terms of the number of photos ref my two 512mb cards.  I can download the card to my PC using the usb to camera lead all OK.

I prefer to use the in built card readers in my three PCs as they are faster and dont run down the camera batteries etc. This works fine with 512Mb and 1Gb cards but the above is not seen by the PC . Actually it wants to format it as it says it is unformatted. This is the same in three PCs two desktops with inbuilt multi card readers running Win98SE and XP dual boot. The third PC is a laptop on XP with a Sandisk PCMCIA multi reader in it.

How do I get the Extreme III  2Gb card to read on my PCs without having to use the camera plus usb lead.

Re: Wierd Extreme III 2Gb card

Forgot to tell U that this is a SD memory card

sounds like your readers are only compatible with cards up to 1GB. this is common in older card readers. may be time to buy a new card reader. when looking for a new card reader make sure to choose one that is SDHC compatible so you can use SDHC card that are bigger than 2GB.

I know this thread is dating a long time ago but any help would be great

I just bought  this card also and i got the same message to format. I was able to get my pictures from my camera and I was wondering if I can just format the card now? Will this solve the problem for the future or will the same thing keep happening?

And how do i format the card? Do i just use the settings that come up when it asks me to format? Or do I have to change anything??