Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Extreme iii vs extreme iv , SLC vs MLC , Fixed vs Removable

Hi,  I'm new (obviously) and have some questions for the Sandisk guru's.  Apologies if some have been answered elsewhere,  I am trying to put together a definitive list of cards I can use. 

I need to use 2 or 4 CF cards in an adapter.  I would like to RAID them.  As Intel's Chipsets appear to limit these types of devices to 80MB/sec,  My aim is to get as close as possible to this speed in RAID 0.  Extreme 4  x2 would give close to that,  or extreme 3 x3 would exceed.  Extreme 3 x 4 would exceed too,  but would guarantee performance almost to the max of the PCI bus I would be using (133MB/sec).

I would like to use SLC based chips,  as I am told the wear on them is likely to exceed my requirements.  MLC apparently have a write/erase of 10,000 times,  vs SLC of 1,000,000 or more.   

Are Extreme iii MLC or SLC based? 

Which versions of Extreme iii are SLC (Someone reported only up to 8GB are - how would I identify these cards?) 

Are the 30MB/sec cards also SLC or are they MLC ?

What sizes are the 30MB/sec cards available in (8/12/16GB)?

Are all extreme 4 SLC based only ?

Can I set extreme iii to fixed IDE?

Can I set extreme 4 to fixed IDE?

Can I boot a laptop off a 8/12/16GB extreme iii CF card in a CF Ultra PCMCIA adapter?

Can I boot a laptop off a 8/12/16GB extreme iii CF card using a SATA to CF adapter ?

Can I boot a laptop off a 8/12/16GB extreme iii CF card using a IDE UDMA to CF adapter?

Re: Extreme iii vs extreme iv , SLC vs MLC , Fixed vs Removable

i have heard that sandisk only supports fixed disk mode on their industrial grade cards. i would suggest the CF 5000 industrial grade card. you can probably find all the info you need in the data sheets.

http://www.sandisk.com/OEM/ProductCatalog(1324)-CompactFlash_5000_Industrial_Grade.aspx