Accepted Solution

Corrupted card

I have an Extreme III card that became corrupted.
I reviewed photos in-camera then with camera off, moved card to a fire-wire card reader. The card would not mount as it normally does, and the reader ended up getting extremely hot.  Eventually, I was able to recover some photos using the RescuePRO software but the files still appear corrupted. 
I am now afraid to use this card again.   I bought it in July of '07 and have used it about once every other week in rotation with two other cards. So, lightly used and kept in clean and safe conditions.
What can I do with this card? I don't like the idea of putting it in my camera or my computer- can I get it replaced under warranty or should it be used to wedge under a table leg to keep a table from rocking?

Re: Corrupted card

if it is getting hot dont put it in your camera or computer. it should not get hot. call 866-sandisk they should be able to replace it for you.

Thanks!  I called and they were quite reasonable.
I didn't need to escalate the problem up the chain of command or cause a ruckus or anything.
They are sending a replacement and I will send them this card in return.

Russ, just a thought--have you had any other issues with your reader?  Like any other cards getting hot?

No, 
In fact I have had no problems with cards or reader. I am still a film photographer as well as digital so I only use digital about half the time. So, low usage of three cards in rotation with one Firewire reader. I pull card from camera(off) immediately upon return from a shoot and plug card into reader. Aperture opens on my desktop and I import all files into a raid, so I have two immediate backups. I work on the project in Aperture with files on raid and when finished and have backed up that file to another drive or disk, I put the card back in the camera and reformat. 
Nothing unusual about this shoot- one hour, indoors, moderate temps, camera working fine, computer working fine. One camera, one lens, one flash clean environment.