Accepted Solution

Bad 16g Card?

Greetings!

I just got a Canon 7D and put the card in and had an error:

"Card can not be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format with camera."

Luckily I bought two. Popped the other one in and it worked fine. Swapped back to the first card and suddenly it worked. Off I went to a baby shower. Took some pictures and movies. Later in the evening I turned the camera back on and once again:

"Card can not be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format with camera."

What the heck?! Swapped cards once again. The good one still works so that tells me it's not the 7D. Put the failed one back in and this time no magic. Card still cannot be accessed. Argh! Is this an example of a bad batch? Next move most likely to replace card from B&H. Any other advice or troubleshooting is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Greg 

Re: Bad 16g Card?

you can try formatting the card in the camera or the computer and see if that clears the error. if not it will need to be replaced. 

i tried reformatting but the camera and computer don't see it at all.

thanks for the reply!

Hi there! I have the same issue! I have tried it all and do it all! Please if u can solve this problem let it me know! I will do the same. Thanks and good look!
Highlighted

Same here for a 32gb Extreme 60M/s...the card was incredibly slow on a Lexar Firewire 800 connected to my imac.

What worries me is the card is recognized as 16gb Extreme III card (from the model number in macos).

I formated it: result was the card formated as 16gb. I switched to a PC to get the card formated back to 32gb (not without issues).

End result is: the card is not recognized anymore at all....

Very sad  I have to say. I have always been faithfull to sandisk (and always used big retailers to avoid fakes), but it seems the quality of the product is not here anymore...bye bye sandisk. I'll try another brand I can trust.I Can't copy my pictures on a piece of plastic I can't trust !

I'm having the same problem.  Just bought 2 - 16GB Extreme 60MB/s cards from BandH, popped one in and it worked fine.  Put the second one in and my Canon 5D Mark II won't recongnize it.  I put the card into my card reader on my computer and tried to format it and I got an error saying the card could not be formatted.  These cards cost too much to have a defective products being shipped, not to mention, RMA's aren't exactly quick.

Hi,

I too have a Canon 7D, which I've been using with an Extreme 16GB 60MBs card for the last five months. Don't know if it's significant but the card rattles a bit.

Yesterday I connected the card to my PC via my card reader and proceeded to delete a number of files. The dialogue box telling me that the operation only had about 5 seconds remaining stayed for more than five minutes and showed no sign of abating. At this point I cancelled the operation. Now neither the card reader nor my 7D is able to read the card.

I have tried to reformat the card, however, the camera asks me to reinsert/change the card. My PC/card reader doesn't detect the card at all. I have five other sandisk cards, all of which are working in the camera and the reader, leading me to conclude that the fault is in the card.

Should I return the card to the store I purchased it from or contact Sandisk's customer support? I'm assuming this will be covered by the guarrantee.

Thanks for reading. 

if you have had it for 5 months contact sandisk support. the card has a lifetime warranty

Thanks, Dr Lucky, I'll contact sandisk and I'll let you guys know the eventual resolution.