Re: can someone plz upload the sandisk backup u3p ??

Modified from an old post of mine: 

IF the file you download has a .ZIP extention instead of .U3P please rename it back to .U3P.

This happens because of an IE security setting for downloading files based on content rather than on extention. While this is certainly a safe thing to do and a good idea it is interfering with the UP3 files which are based on the ZIP format. Not sure when this setting got added or enabled but suspect SP2 may have done it.

So, you can do one of two things if you are running XP SP2 and experiencing this problem.

1) When prompted with IE's Save the file window, change the Save as type: from Compressed (zipped) folder to All files before clicking on the Save button.

2) Go to Control Panel>InternetProperties>Security tab>Custom Level button and scroll down to the Open files based on content, not file extention option and change the selection from Enable to Disable, download the file, then change the Security option back.

hth

Message Edited by Ed_P on 07-02-2010 03:53 PM

Ed,

Thank you for your response. My OS is Vista. I tried both of your suggestions. I only have two options as to file type when saving the download: Win Zip and All Files. Even when I save the download as All Files, it still saves it as a zip file. If I try to manually change the file type, it will not let me. When I disable the setting on opening files as to content, it gives me a bunch of garbage when I download the file as says the file may may not have opened properly. Is there another way to change the file type from .zip to .U3P? Another question, wouldn't you have to unzip the zip file in order to run the application? Thanks for your help.

After the file is downloaded as a .zip you can't rename it to .u3p??

The Launchpad's install of the .u3p file takes care of the unzippiing.

Yes, I can rename the file but that doesn't change the file type. When I select "Add Programs" and then select "install from my computer" and then select the folder where the downloaded zip file is located, it is not listed because it is looking for a .u3p file and there is not one listed in that folder.

??? 

You download the file and in Windows Explorer you see it's name as being sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0.zip or merely as sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0?

And when you rename it do you change sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0.zip to sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0.u3p or do you change sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0 to sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0.u3p?

I suspect you need to change your Windows Explorer file settings to not mask file type.

Message Edited by Ed_P on 07-03-2010 12:50 AM
Highlighted

Ed,

When I download the file it is named sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0. I right click on the file and select rename. I change the name to sandiskbackup-v1-1-10747-0.u3p. When I go to the folder to select the file when I click install from my computer, the file is not listed.

How do I show file extension in IE?

Bill

I suspected that was what you're seeing. 

Use this link for how to unhide file types:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-or-hide-file-name-extensions in WE not IE.  :smileyhappy:

Once you have done that you will be able to rename the file properly.  

Ed,

That did the trick. I was able to change the file type and it loaded the backup program just find. Thanks for the computer lesson. You learn something new everyday. I'm sure this will help a lot of folks who are trying to load this backup program on their smart drive.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill