Highlighted

Win 98se "Driver Needed" ?

I bought the Micro 4GB Cruzer to use on my XP & My Dell Win98se computer. OK in the xp but nothing when inserted in the 98 computer, all I get is ( E:\ is not accessible ) there were no instruction or CD. No mention of a driver needed. Where can the driver be downloaded from.  Vic.
Highlighted

Re: Win 98se "Driver Needed" ?

You can't officially do it.  That is why it does not list Windows 98 on the package.

At your own risk, you can follow the instructions in the following thread where some people say they have gotten it to work.

http://communities.sandisk.com/sandisk/board/message?board.id=cruzersoftwares&thread.id=1 

Highlighted

SanDisk never made a Win98 driver for any cruzer with U3, and the drivers for cruzers without U3 won't recognize a U3 drive. 

Highlighted

Sure it works. The Z6 Cruzer Micros CAN be used in Win98 (SE) machines. This is about as straightforward as I can explain it. I recommend that you have a XP machine available as well.

1. Put the U3 Cruser Z6 model in your XP machine and disable the U3 stuff. If you're going to use it in Win98 you can use U3 anyway and it takes up about 100MB of space on the Cruser Micro, so get rid of it. Then DELETE everything off the stick except for the the empty placeholder directories.

2. Make sure you have the SNDKW98.INF file in your C:\Windows\INF directory, and put it in another directory too, like C:\Drivers.

3. Put the cleaned out stick in the Win 98 SE machine, let it do its new hardware thing. When you get to the can't find a driver, select use a driver that you specify (or whatever the wording is).

4. Select from the Hard disk controller section, select Sandisk and then the Cruzer Mini/Micro option and select the SNDKW98.INF file from the \Windows\Inf directory (or the other one if for some eeason winblows doesn't want to let you select the \windows\inf directory.  It will actually select the driver name for you.

5. Ignore the waring that the driver was not written for the device.

6. It willl finish. I can't remember if you have to reboot. the second ztick that i installed i did not have to reboot.

You will now have the stick only taking up ONE drive letter (no phantom CD drvice for he U3 garbage).

It worked fine for the 2GB sticks, it should work for the 4GB sticks, but I wouldn't try it with the so called High capacity sticks (or am i confusing that with the high capacity SD camera memory cards???).

Let me know how you make out.

If you flub it up like I did, for instance you tried installing it before clearing out the US stuff and deleting it).

put it in an xp machine and disable then delete the US stuff.

put it back in your Win98SE machine, go into control panel - system - device manager, select it under Hard Disk controllers - it should be easy to spot. select remove it. I didn't even have to take it out and re-insert it, winblows immediatly started its found new hardware routine. and i proceeded from step 4 above.

Good luck and tell us how it went.  I'm going to see if i have to repeat the entire process with another identical stick (I bought a 3-pack red white and blue) 2GBs each.

-Mike

Highlighted

Obviously, you are so excited that you figured out how to do this, you plan on posting it all over the forums.  Without reading or searching, of course.  Way to go!!!!

Of course, if you had bothered to read my post above, you would have learned that this is already being discussed in one thread, and you could have just posted in that one, instead of bringing up two old threads and copying and pasting your pre-written response in. 

Highlighted

This is being discussed over in this thread, so there is no reason to keep posting in this.  I am going to close this one down.