USB device not recognized

I just bought a Cruzer micro flash drive. When I installed in my PC (running XP sp2) I get the following error message: “USB device not recognized – One of the USB devises attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.” On the device manager it shows up as an “Unknown Device”. I have tried using different USB ports all have the same problem.

Re: USB device not recognized

If possible, try the flash drive on another machine.  Also, you could try to update and/or reinstall the driver from the Device Manager.
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. The flash drive works fine in other machines. When I uninstall through the device manager and then reinstall it, I get the same error message, "USB device not recognized".

When you get an Unknown Device in the Device Manager it means the flash drive is not enumerating properly.  This can be caused by a couple of things, but because the drive works on another computer, let's start by making sure it is not a power issue.

Make sure the Cruzer is plugged directly into the USB port on your computer.  Do not use an extension cable or USB hub.  If you have USB ports on the front, and plugging directly into them does not work, attempt to use a back port.  The reasoning for this is some home-built computers use a ribbon cable to connect the front ports to the motherboard, and these front ports tend to be low power ports.  If this is a laptop, attempt to use all ports (sometimes they include low power ports to save battery life when unplugged).

Let us know what happens.

Message Edited by fuzzy_logic on 12-12-2007 06:49 AM

I have tried the flash drive in all of my USB ports and get the same error message in each one.

One of my friends found a workaround, when the UBS2 host controller is disabled, the flash drive works, when this host controller is enabled the flash drive is unrecognized.

check and see if you can find an updated driver for your USB-2 controller

I have the same negative experience that "Salty" had.

"I just bought a Cruzer micro flash drive. When I installed in my PC (running XP sp2) I get the following error message: “USB device not recognized – One of the USB devises attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.” On the device manager it shows up as an “Unknown Device”. I have tried using different USB ports all have the same problem."

I have used front and back ports and have used 3 other flash drives from other mfg and they work fine in front or back ports. Controller is functioning fine.

Any suggestions?? Help??

I'd try to delete the VID keys and then reinstall the drive--if you've had experience editing the registry, that is...

I'm experiencing the same thing.  I assume it's just a bad drive, since every USB I have, including the ones of the same make and model, work fine--but this one mostly pops up the "USB device not recognized."  When I say "mostly," I mean every time I can unplug it and instantly plug it back in, and it may work that time.  Will you walk me through this until it's either fixed or until I have a new one?

Oh, and this USB drive gives me the same error, apparently the same percentage of the time, on every machine I've put it into.  I've reformatted it multiple times, and that hasn't helped...