Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Sandisk Cruzer with U3 - I need the U3

Hi! I recently buyed a Cruzer U3 16GB Pendrive just for load ISO images into it. My problem resides in the size of the ISO file, i can't load more than 2.4GB.

Does anyone know about a soft that can do this?

Re: Sandisk Cruzer with U3 - I need the U3

Try creating sub-directories and transfer the files to the new directory. 

I think im not being clear. Im sorry if my english is the worst.

I need the CD drive to load an iso of more than 3gb. I used the U3 Removal tool and the Universal U3 Customizer to load the ISO image into it, but an image larger than 2.4GB doesnt work (i get an error message). Please, i buyed a Cruzer U3 16GB ONLY for this, to load an unnatended Windows7 in a netbook.

The CD drive is controlled by micro code separate from the writable portion of the stick.  To change it's size you need the firmware's manufacturer's software to change it.  (And these manufacturers don't like people accessing their software.)

Thanks for your answer! So, does anyone know about a software that could make the CD drive bigger?

You should consider a different approach.  Windows can be installed from USB sticks without the need for a CD partition.  Check out this thread, it may give you some ideas.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21883&hl=

This is what I used to install Win 7 in my laptop. Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

and this is the command I used to make the iso bootable. Oscdimg Command-Line Options

Hope it helps :smileyhappy:

Thanks for everything. I already have considered the option that ed_p says, but i have a modded windowsXP iso that i want to put in the U3 drive, because it can't be mounted in the normal usb drive, and thats the reason why i have bought my U3 drive to sandisk.

This message is the last resource that i use to make that ISO to work from an usb drive, and i will be very grateful with the one that helps me to do that.

regards,

c.

Why can't you use the OSCDimg utility that Jamieson suggested?  You don't need U3 to boot an ISO from a USB stick.

However, this old posting might interest you:

Talk:Memorex U3 ISO Hack

From Hak5

U3 partition as a Bootable WindowsPE Disk

I succeeded in rewriting my U3 partition of a SanDisk Cruzer into a full Reatogo Windows PE boot CD. The rest of my drive is a dos bootable disk Making this one hard working utility packed powerhouse. The Instructions are below There is one problem the U3 Reatogo part will only boot on BIOS that recognizes the U3 part as a CD, like my AMI BIOS. What I need now is a hack to make this partition appear to be a USB CD drive to all BIOS. Perhaps the Identification strings in the firm ware part.

I started with the Hacking U3 from McGrew at this addresss and below.

http://www.mcgrewsecurity.com/research/hackingU3/

Updating means that something can write to it at least Let's visit the SanDisk updating URL in Firefox:

http://u3.sandisk.com/download/apps/LPInstaller.exe

There we go. A URL for a stand-alone installer. When you download this installer, you'll notice that it's only a megabyte or so, while the CDROM drive is between 5 and 6 megabytes. This is because the LPInstaller.exe downloads the new ISO file for the CDROM from the SanDisk website. Let's fire up Ethereal, start sniffing, and run the installer to figure out where it's getting the ISO from: u3.sandisk.com/download/apps/lpinstaller/isofiles/cruzer-autorun.iso

From here, you can download the ISO with wget or a web browser or anything. Mount the ISO and you'll see the same files (or potentially newer versions) as you would on the drive's CDROM. The Sting == - This is where they got it wrong you have to edit the original ISO from sandisk ==

Make your own ISO, keeping within size limitations. Regarding this, although the ISO I downloaded from the SanDisk site was 5,752,832 bytes, the size of the CDROM images I get when I use dd straight from the block device is always 6,291,456 bytes. It appears the ISO is written into this 6,291,456 byte chunk, with the remainder padded out with zeros. Double-plus-make-sure that the ISO you create is a bit less than 6,291,456 bytes. I don't know what will happen if you go over that amount, but there's a very good chance that it isn't pleasant. Some good ideas for what you could do with the fake CDROM drive: Do away with the U3 software entirely Auto-run your own programs/scripts iPod sneakiness without an iPod Store files that you want relatively strongly write-protected You can create ISO files using mkisofs from cdrtools, or any burning software you would like to use. Once you have an ISO created, you'll need to set up a web server to mimic the update site. Here, I've installed Apache onto the windows machine running the installer, recreated the directory structure leading up to the ISO, and placed the custom ISO there with the correct name:

Next, change the c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file to point u3.sandisk.com to the correct ip address, in this case, the local host: 127.0.0.1 localhost u3.sandisk.com Now that everything's set up, you can run the LPInstaller.exe, and let it download and install the ISO you want to the disk. If everything goes well, the next time you mount the disk, it should be set up how you wanted it.

____________ END OF QUOTE __ NOW HOW TO WRITE AN ISO OF ANY SIZE Hacking U3 Smart USB Drives

Thanks for you quick tutorial on Hacking U3 Smart USB Drives. I have taken your instructions and gone way beyond them to install a 438meg bootable Windows PE CD ISO image made with Reatogo to the U3 partion of a 1gig and 2 gig SanDisk Cruzer.

The writing of the large image was completely successful but I have to say the booting to the U3 partition was only successful on a bios that recognizes the U3 partion as a CD drive Such as my ASUS A7N8X with AMI BIOS. It has not booted on any other PC so far but it boots and runs amazingly well when it does.

Here are the extra steps I took you should be able to do this with any ISO image or CD. All of your steps you described then I downloaded and purchased the full version of MagicISO an ISO image editor. You need the full version for Images over 300 Megs. 

I opened the image I wanted to use first in MagicISO. 

On the tools menu I saved the boot information from my image to a file. You can skip this if you don't want to boot yours.

I then copied all the files from the image inside MagicISO to a folder on my PC. I set my windows folder option ahead of time to show hidden and system files. 

I closed the big image and opened the 6 Meg U3 ISO image in MagicISO that was downloaded from U3.sandisk.com from your steps above (first a made a back up copy of it) 

I first clicked the non-bootable button in MagicISO and selected the boot information file I made from my bootable CD image and made the SanDisk Image Bootable. 

Then I opened the folder that contained all the backup files from my big fat ISO image selected them all and dragged them into the SanDisk image in MagicISO and saved the ISO

I ran the L3installer and it took for ever, about 15 minutes after the progress bar said it was done. I though it had crashed but I let it run and BOOM SHAKALAKA!   It Succeeded.

Message Edited by Ed_P on 08-13-2010 11:32 PM