Yet another Cruzer not working...

Like the rest of the posts here, I too have a new SanDisk 4 GB Cruzer which will not respond or be recognized by any of my computers in my house.  The LED light will not light.  Basically, nothing happens when I insert it. 

Basically, I installed the device and it appeared to be working fine.  I removed the device and organized my files for storing...and the device never worked again.  Unlike a lot of you, I hadn't begun to shift data yet so my data was spared. 

I'm wondering if there are any technical measures that one can do to troubleshoot this device?  Beyond the forums, I couldnt find any links on the SanDisk site for troubleshooting.

Moreover, from what I've read in this forum, I'm quite concerned about the stability of this device and others like it.  As we tend to put a lot of confidence in these data storage devices, we almost need a backup system to the back up. 

I've gone through the data recovery process with a SanDisk digital camera flash card that just crashed and burned on me out of the blue.  Data recovery is an inconvenience for sure but if your data is important - its very much worth it.

Re: Yet another Cruzer not working...

@mediagirl wrote:

Moreover, from what I've read in this forum, I'm quite concerned about the stability of this device and others like it.  As we tend to put a lot of confidence in these data storage devices, we almost need a backup system to the back up.

While is is unfortunate that products do fail, it is a reality that has to be faced using the current imperfect manufacturing techniques.  It is just impossible to guarantee that every memory cell, gate or controller will function when there is not a technologically perfect way to make them.  This is not limited to just SanDisk, any one who uses carbon and silicon to create their products will face the same issue, whether it is SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, PNY, Intel or AMD.  There will always be defective products, and this is why SanDisk backs theirs with a warranty.

Also, online forums allow people to seek assistance when products are not working or might have gone bad.  But the same forums can also make it seem like there are a lot of bad products out there, because when the products function fine people generally do not go on to the forum to say "hey, mine is working great!"  I just counted, and I have 20 flash drives, 5 MP3 players and 8 memory cards, and have not had a problem with any of them.  Now, they are not all SanDisk brand, but most of them are.   And there are millions of other users out there who, just like me, have not had any failure.  They just are not coming here to say it.

So, if you have one that has gone bad, which yours sounds like it has, I would suggest to either try to exchange it at the place of purchse, if you can, or contact SanDisk.  If it is under warranty, they will not hassle you at all.