Highlighted

Microsoft Money 2002 will not back up

When I try to back up Microsoft Money to my SandiskCruzer Micro with readyboost, Money tells me that the drive is full and insert a new disk.....it still has 3.5 gigs of free space....any suggestions.

Re: Microsoft Money 2002 will not back up

This will sound silly, but it is a common problem.  Are you sure you are backing up to the correct drive? 

The U3 Cruzers show up as 2 disks under My Computer (or Computer in Vista).  The first one is labeled U3 System, and you can not save any data to this disk.  It will always give you an error saying the drive is full.  The next disk should be labeled Removable Disk, and when you double click on it you will see a folder called Documents.  This is the actual data storage part of the drive.  Make sure you are saving to this drive letter when choosing in Money 2002.

I saw the two drives....E and F....E is the one with the U3 and it is full.  I was trying to back up to F:\documents but Money still tells me the disk is full and to insert the second disk. I've tried renaming the flash drive.  I can copy other documents onto the flash drive, Microsoft Money simply will not back up to it.  I had a 256 SanDisk flash drive and it worked just fine.  I decided to replace it yesterday with the 4g drive so that I could also keep some photos on it, but now I can't get it to work.
Message Edited by equichiq on 09-05-2008 06:56 AM

Sorry, after researching MS Money 2002, I can not find a single reason why it is not working for you.  The backup process seems very straight foward.

Have you tried saving the file to the root directory (just F:, and not F:\Documents)? 

I'm having the same problem with MS Money 2006.  I attempted to backup to F:\ with the same result. 

I completed a backup to my computer's hard drive and I noticed that my backup size was the same size as on the Cruzer when it asks to have another disk inserted.  I then tried an uncompressed backup directly to my hard drive and to my Cruzer.  The file sizes again were the same.  So, I then attempted a restore from both the uncompressed and compressed files on my Cruzer.  Both files restored fine.  I suppose this is good; but, I'd still feel much more secure with my backups if I didn't get the "Money has filled the current disk.  Please insert Backup Disk 2 into the G:\ drive so that we may continue to build your backup” notification.

This may be something that Microsoft needs to be made aware of.  If they offer any tech support, I would contact them and ask, and if they have an answer, let us know.

Do you have any additional information on this problem?  I am experiencing the same thing....disk full error...when the disk is empty.  My Microsoft Word documents back up to the Cruzer just fine.  Attempts at backing up Microsoft Money result in the disk full message.  I have searched the Microsoft Money website and have been unable to locate any help.

@dheeney wrote:
Do you have any additional information on this problem?  I am experiencing the same thing....disk full error...when the disk is empty.  My Microsoft Word documents back up to the Cruzer just fine.  Attempts at backing up Microsoft Money result in the disk full message.  I have searched the Microsoft Money website and have been unable to locate any help.

i would try contacting microsoft. it sounds like an issue on their end.