Highlighted

LED stays lit

I am running Vista.  Upon inserting my brand new Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 2GB, into the USB port, the LED lights up and does not shut off until I remove the drive.  There is no problem with getting to "safe to remove hardware", but even when I receive that message, the LED stays lit.  Is the unit defective?  Are there updates to install that won't corrupt everything?  I'm still in the 30 day BestBuy guarantee period, and would like to take appropriate action while I have a fighting chance.  Thanks for your comments.
Highlighted

Re: LED stays lit

I have an 8GB U3 Cruzer, and my LED will turn off if I eject it from my desktop computer.  In my laptop running Vista Home Premium, however, it will go into a slow blink mode after I eject it.  So far so good, but mine is pretty new as well.

I will say that if you have U3, to use the U3 Launchpad to eject or it gets angry.

Highlighted

Well, the LED does shut down after I safely remove it (message = "safe to remove hardware") from the USB drive.  But, I'm thinking that the LED should function as a signaling device, flashing on and off intermittently, and even ending, so that the user knows what it is doing.  I think I'll leave well enough alone.  It's too bad that SanDisk relies on its customers to work out their own problems, rather than providing simple instructions for their products.  Final SanDisk purchase for me!  Thanks for your input, Silver.
Highlighted

The LED flashes rapidly when data is being written to the device, and then, depending on how new the controller is in it, goes steady or "breathes" (slowly gets brighter and then fades and then repeats) when idle. 

The fact that the LED does not shut off when you safely remove it is a Vista feature, not the flash drive.  The LED does go off in Windows XP after safely removing it. 

Of course, all of this is moot if you just yank the flash drive out when you are done transferring files to it.  Which is perfectly safe in all Operating Systems except Win2000. 

Highlighted

I wasn't clear in my original Post.  The LED does indeed shut off after I safely remove it from the computer.  It is just that the LED stays lit from insertion to removal, never varying in intensity, or flashing, or "breathing".  Your comment about this being a Vista effect seems reasonable.  Many thanks, Professor Fuzzy-logic, for your very welcome comments. 
Highlighted

As for staying lit constantly, it should at least, when data is being written, flash.  Not really sure why yours does not.  When you have the chance, if you haven't already, send a really large file over to the flash drive and see if it flashes during transfer.  If you are only sending small files, the flash may be unnoticeable.

I have seen where the LED has stopped lighting up all together.  But that is just a cosmetic thing, the flash drive still works perfectly.  But I have never seen one that lights up but does not flash.  But again, as along as the drive accepts data and otherwise functions, I would not worry. 

Highlighted

That's a good idea -- to send a large file as a test to see if the LED flashes.  So far, my files have been small ones, so perhaps I didn't catch the flash as it may have been too fast to catch (especially since the unit faces the wrong way in the USB port for me to see the LED.)  I cup my hand around the unit to notice the red glow.  Thanks again.
Highlighted

On my XP machine my cruzer u3 8g works perfectly, but on my vista home premium  laptop, upon insertion, the light is solid, then it goes into a 'breath' fading in and out(been told this is normal for the 8GB) but as with my 4GB cruzer U3, neither one actually shuts down after I "safely remove" or "eject via U3" after it goes through the motions and says it's now safe to remove"  ..the light stays on, and it continues to "breath" figuring this may be a vista issue please please, can someone tell us how to actually fix this? just ripping it out gives me warnings, so how safe can that be?

p.s I've tried with and without the U3 software installed on it.

Highlighted

@KixNgo wrote:

neither one actually shuts down after I "safely remove" or "eject via U3" after it goes through the motions and says it's now safe to remove"  ..the light stays on, and it continues to "breath" figuring this may be a vista issue please please, can someone tell us how to actually fix this?

This is a Vista feature.  There is nothing that can be done about it. 

As a default, you can either unplug the drive as long as no data is being written (flashing rapidly), or you can use the Safely Remove Hardware button.  You can ignore any messages you get, they are just there as a CYA by the manufacturers.  If you get the U3 prompt that says the drive was improperly removed, just click in the box to never show it again, and it will not pop up any more.

Highlighted

Thank You Fuzzy Logic, I'm feeling much better about my purchase :womanvery-happy: forum after forum and you gave me a no nonsense, this is fact answer.

"Everyday above ground is a good day so, laugh hard, love loud and play good".